Chapter 18 - Take Care Of Him (Last Chapter!)

Dan's POV

"And I guess that's what happened," Phil finished explaining again what happened with Alex's lies so we were both fully aware of what happened. I was laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling while my head was on his lap and his hands were tinkering with my hair.

"Phil, I am so sorry.... It's all my fault for trusting him."

"You thought you were right. It's okay, Dan. Don't blame yourself."

I smiled and he leaned down to kiss me.

"I just cant believe it," he said, "Alex never seemed like the jealous type. I mean, I didn't know he was gay either, or why he hid that from me. I wouldn't have cared."

"We go way back, Alex and I...." I sighed.

"Oh." He decided not to ask, which I appreciated. I in no way wanted to talk about it, or him at all. "Can I just ask one thing?" he said.

"Of course."

"Who's... better?"

"What do you mean?"

"Who's was the better boyfriend for you?"

I sat up and faced him. "I mean, you and Alex are very different. You're sweet, you don't break promises, and you're protective and caring. It's hard to understand with me and Alex. But Phil, I never felt as loved as I do with you. I've never loved someone like I love you, and after today, I know I've made the right choice in loving you. You are perfect. And to answer you, you are, in every way better for me."

He looked almost sad, but grinned to himself.

"And I should have trusted you. God, what a huge mistake. I never really –"

"Dan," he interrupted and bit his lip. "Shut up."

I smiled. He leaned in quick to steal a kiss.

Phil's POV

I was still in disbelief at the actions and truths spilled out today. All that I truly cared about was that Dan was sat beside me and kissing me. I had him and nothing would tear us apart.

I was happy. He was happy. It was all okay now.

~~~

Dan stayed the night with me, and I woke up with him tucked under my arm, resting comfortably. His head was nuzzled into the crook of my neck. I smelled his hair. He smelled warm.

I grabbed my phone, which was just in reach on my nightstand. I took a quick selfie with him asleep on me. We looked weird together. A sweet, pastel boy laying on the chest of a punk with blue in his hair.

I always thought the whole "opposites attract" thing really only applied in chemistry. Maybe this was chemistry.

A text came in on my phone. I only had one arm to use for my phone, since the other was cradling Dan. I struggled to open it, but I managed to. It was from a flaming red-headed demon named Alex.

'Phil' was all it said, just a call to get my attention.

I knew better than to answer it, but I did anyway. 'Wtf do you want you prick'

It took several minutes to get a response, but eventually, this came in:

'I'm sorry. Don't respond to this. I don't expect you to. You were my best friend. I didn't mean to hurt you or Dan. I loved him, but I was really embarrassed about it. Finding out about you two really pissed me off but it shouldn't have bc it was my fault that Dan and I broke up. Just take care of him. I know deeply that we wont ever get back together even though it would be the only thing I'd ever want. Just make sure he's happy since it's all I can really all I can ask of you. I don't expect you to understand me or except my apology but I'm really sorry anyway. You probably don't believe me but I really am. I know you must think that I'm a real piece of shit but I hope you can accept me now.'

I didn't respond. I put the phone down gently.

People weren't bad or cruel. People were possessive. What was Alex fighting for? For Dan? Pride? Self-assurance? He didn't want to fight or argue me. He, one of the most assertive and proud people that I knew, was just scared.

I sighed. I would message him back later, I knew. I knew I would. I knew I would be better than that, and I knew I would somehow make amends with a broken friendship. Not now, though. Dan shuffled slightly and let out a kitten-like morning mew.

I kissed his head. Yes, they call him a pastel. And yes, they call me a punk. Whatever. I call him Dan. He calls me Phil. Just Dan and Phil.