Chapter 14 - Suspicion

Dan's POV

Monday came along, and it was back to school. Phil was right there waiting for me when I left my house with Emma to walk to school with us. He linked fingers with me. It felt good.

Phil was closer. He kissed me before going to class. His confidence was all I needed to make this a perfect start to the day. I went through my day in content, and seeing Phil happy and smiling at me and not so afraid to kiss me made me feel even more, even deeper, in love with him.

Once the end of the day approached, I was met again by a red-headed punk, looking for nothing but trouble as always.

An almost evil grin poked his cheeks. "Hi, Dan," he slurred. "How are you, mate?"

"What do you want, Alex?"

"Have you had sex with Phil yet?"

"Excuse me?"

"You can tell me," he said. "Phil can trust me with anything. You can too."

"I thought I could," I said under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing. And um, no, it isn't any of your business."

"Hey, just trying to help you."

"Help me? With what?"

"You know. Phil? Haha, I bet he's already said 'I love you,' too."

He has. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just casual Phil."

The runt Alex proceeded to walk away. What did he mean? I walked after him and ran around him to stand in front of his face. "What are you talking about?"

"Wow. I thought you were in on it, too. He's taken his time with you."

"Stop with the word games. What do you mean by all this?"

He put his hands up. "Causal Phil. He'll get whoever he wants, appeal to them, bang 'em up, and say goodbye. Hey, at least I didn't –"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," I said. "Phil wouldn't do that. He said he has before, but never wanted to do that again."

"Good technique. Obviously worked."

My eyebrows furrowed.

"Dan, Phil was using you. I didn't want him to hurt you, so I thought I'd tell you. He's planning on breaking up with you, maybe today. He told me so."

My chest hurt. No. I didn't believe him. "No he isn't."

Alex sighed. "So naive. This is just a heads up, so you don't feel as bad later."

"You're a liar."

"Am I?"

Was he? Could he really be telling the truth? Would Phil ever actually do that?

I walked away without answering him. Obviously Phil wouldn't do that to me.

But what if he did?

What if it was all a trick and he hasn't changed? Maybe he just used me as an experiment. Maybe everything he said was a lie.

These thoughts in mind, I walked faster. I walked far past Emma. I walked to my doorstep alone without looking back or changing expression.

"Dan?" a tired voice appeared behind me. "Slow down! What's the rush?"

I looked. Phil. My breath caught.

"Hey," he smiled, walking closer. "I've been calling you. Are you alright?"

I couldn't answer.

Phil's face sulked. "Dan? What's wrong?"

I looked at his face. I thought about all the girls he has kissed, and how he dumped every one of them.

"Nothing," I said, pushing every thought out of my mind. "Just... thinking...."

"Oh. Well, do you want to come over my place? Just to hang out?"

"No," I said. "I'm just going home."

"Oh."

It was awkward.

"Are you sure everything is okay, Dan?" He gently took my hand. I pulled away.

"I'm fine. I'll see you tomorrow." I went into my house, feeling sick and ashamed. I just had to think. I didn't want to hurt him. I needed these thoughts out of my head.

Phil's POV

What? No hello? No kiss? Just, "I'll see you tomorrow?" Something was very wrong. He looked horrified to see me. It wasn't the Dan I knew.

I tried to text him multiple times, asking if he was okay and to please talk to me. No response. I was beginning to get frustrated. He seemed fine for the whole day until then. What could have happened?

My phone buzzed after a while, and I was disappointed to see it wasn't him. Alex, of all people.

'Hey so are you ever going to hang out with me again or is that just over?'

'I don't want to hang out right now'

'Why not'

'I'm busy'

'Something wrong with Dan?'

How did he know? I never even remembered telling him about dating Dan. I didn't want to. I no longer cared if he found out; I just didn't care to tell him. Maybe just go with it, I figured. 'I think something is wrong with him, yeah. He wont talk to me'

'You might as well break up with him'

'Why would I do that?'

'He's probably thinking that he'd be better off with someone else. I mean, you don't hold a great reputation as a boyfriend'

'I'm done with my past, man. I love Dan, okay? I doubt he's thinking that'

Fully aware of Alex's sly words, I muted my phone and set it aside. I knew Dan wasn't thinking that. Something else was wrong. I didn't like it.