Chapter 15 - Liar

Dan's POV

I went to school the next day alone. No Emma, no Phil, nobody. I was tired and unable to sleep the night before. Alex was always a liar. He was wrong about Phil.

But what if he wasn't?

No, Phil was good – not what he used to be.

"Just casual Phil..." "Obviously it worked..." "I bet he's already said 'I love you...'"

I trusted Phil. I didn't trust Alex. Phil wouldn't do that to me.

I kept my thumping head down during class. A piece of paper appeared on my desk when I lifted my head eventually. I opened it.

'Dan, did I do something wrong? Are you mad at me? I'm sorry to whatever I did. I still love you. Will you please talk to me?

-Phil'

I frowned. It was my own thoughts making him suffer. I wrote back:

'I'm sorry. I'm having a hard time thinking and comprehending some things I heard recently. I'm not mad at you :3 It's okay, I just need some time to let these thoughts leave me'

I folded the paper back up and slid it over to him. He looked at me and nodded, but he still looked unsatisfied. I hid my face in my arms on the desk again.

Alex met me after class, looking oddly concerned. "Dan," he said, following me as I walked away. "Dan, you look really upset. Did he do it? Has he broken up with you yet?"

"Go away, Alex."

"Just looking out for you. I know he's going to so –"

"Shut up! He is not! You're really stressing me out here. Go away, wont you?"

I turned around and walked faster to my next class. He still trailed behind me into the next classroom. "Why are you so certain that Phil isn't going to do what he's done before? Has he really convinced you?"

"Yes, I trust him. Unlike you."

He nodded. "Okay, fine. I see. I hope he doesn't. I'm just warning you."

He finally left me and allowed me to continue my day, though I was very stressed out and nervous. I couldn't focus on a thing.

~~~

By the end of the day, I was just leaving, hoping to not be bothered or accompanied by anyone. A red-headed pest appeared, however. I nearly ran when I saw him coming towards me, but I stopped. He kept distance. The slyness in his face turned into sorrow. I avoided looking at him.

"I am not going to believe anything you have to say, okay?" I quickly said. "Why even bother?"

"I'm sorry," he said to my surprise.

"What?"

"Phil wanted me to tell you."

"Tell me what?"

He looked down, bit his lip and sighed. "I was right."

I froze. I stared at him. My head shook slowly. "No."

"Yeah. I'm sorry. He wanted me to pass it on to you that it's over."

I looked to the side. I dropped my head. Alex had only rarely shown me his serious side. This was it. "You're lying." I wanted to deny it.

"At first I was messing with you and yeah, being a jerk," he sighed. "I wish I was now."

I left him, first in a quick walk, and then in a desperate run. He didn't follow. Tears brimmed on my eyes. I ran to my house. Emma was there at my door. She saw me and immediately held me by my shoulders.

"Dan?! What's wrong? What happened?"

I hugged her. "Ph-Phil... sent Alex to... break up with me," I cried.

She pulled away. "What? Why would he do that? Are you serious?"

"Dan?" I heard his voice behind me. Phil. He saw me crying. He saw me hugging Emma. "Oh my God, are you okay?"

I felt his presence directly behind me, but I was facing Emma. She threw me off of her and, evil in her eye, she swung at Phil and hit him in the nose twice – once for me, once for her OCD.

Phil's POV

I shrieked in pain and jumped back. "What was that for?!"

"Get out of here!" Emma yelled at me. "Just get out!"

"Dan, what's happening?! I'm so confused! I saw you upset so I followed you and I just asked if you were okay! What happened?"

"How could you do this to me?!" he screamed. His voice was so large and angry. I had never seen or pictured him this way. "You get to fuck me and tell me you love me and then that's it?! You're just going to send your annoying friend to finish the job?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Stop playing dumb or I'll hit you again!" Emma added.

"You sent Alex – of all people, Alex, – to break up with me? How could you do that?"

What? Alex? Break up? Oh God. "Dan, listen to me! Please! I didn't –"

"You've done enough, you punk!" Emma yelled again. "Get out!" She opened the door to Dan's place and guided his red and crying face in, the turned around and shot me a middle finger.

I ran up to the door and began pounding on it. "Alex is a liar, Dan! I never said what he told you! Please listen to me!" After fifteen minutes, I gave up. I felt my heart stiffen. My face burned with anger. I felt tears swell in my face and poor out. I couldn't move. I sat at the doorstep, crying hard until I was choking for air. I left his home and slowly walked to my own.

I climbed robotically to my room and fell flat to the bed. Dan was here just a few days ago. We cuddled here. I had my arms protectively around his waist. He laced his fingers with mine. He was warm. He was mine.

I never cried so much or so hard in my life. I screamed and swore alone in my room. I fell asleep, but woke up with nightmares. I felt sick. I went to the bathroom to wash my face, but once I looked in the mirror, I cried again, this time so hard that I nearly threw up. I limply crawled out and back into my bed, where I didn't sleep again.