Chapter 11 - Invite Him In

Phil's POV

Tonight was the first time I was meeting Dan's parents formally. I had seen them every so often, staring out the window when I brought Dan home. They seemed protective. Tonight, I planned on making them sure that I was a viable boyfriend for their son. Maybe they just didn't like punks.

'Dan... Do you think your parents will like me less bc I'm punk?' I texted him, only ten minutes before I was supposed to arrive.

'No honestly. They don't seem to judge on that. My last boyfriend was a punk, and even though they disliked him, it wasn't for that'

'What happened to your last boyfriend?'

'We fought and I broke up with him. I couldn't take him anymore. Don't worry, I don't see that happening with you :3'

I was wearing something formal. I even made the extra effort to remove my piercings and clean up as much as possible. I had redone the blue in my hair just a few days before, so it was still bright. I worried they would dislike it, but Dan told me to relax. They judged on actions, not apparel. Now all I had to do was be gentleman enough.

I arrived at the exact time they told me, and rang the doorbell. It was Dan who opened the door, with a huge toothy smile. He looked more casual, but perfectly put together – flower crown and all.

"Wow," he said. "You clean up nicely."

"Dan," a feminine voice – his mother – called from another room, "don't just stand there admiring him. Invite him in!"

Seeing the nerves in my face, Dan quickly kissed my cheek. "It'll be fine. You look great. They'll love you. Just be yourself." He brought me in and closed the door.

"Just in time," a man – his father – sitting at the dinner table said.

"Mum, Dad, this is Phil," Dan said shamelessly, holding onto my arm and letting go.

His father stood up and walked to me with his hand out. I shook it. "So you're him?" he asked.

"Yes, sir."

He nodded in a friendly way. "Well, sit down for dinner," he guided.

I sat, and Mrs. Howell happily served me while Mr. Howell visually inspected me. Only a moment into dining, the questions began.

They asked about my grades, what I do outside of school, how Dan and I met, and more. They teased Dan in front of me, but in a sweet, parental love kind of way. He looked embarrassed more than once and asked them not to pound me with questions. I knew what they were doing. I was fine with it. Protective parents want the best for their kids. I wanted to be the best. I smiled and went along with it.

After dinner, Dan showed me to the door with a kiss.

"How did I do?" I asked.

"Perfect."

"Phil?" his mother called before I left. Her eyes scaled me one last time. She smiled. "Will we be seeing you again any time soon?"

I looked at Dan, and back to her. "Ah, yes, ma'am. I'd love to come by."

She gave a nod of approval. "Lovely. I hope you enjoyed dinner with us, and Dan, I hope we didn't embarrass you too much!"

He looked up with his eyes and shook his head.

"Have a nice night, Phil," she said finally.

Dan's father shook my hand again. "Be good, kid."

"Thank you," I said with a smile before opening the door. "Bye, Dan."

His grin was so satisfyingly wide. "Bye."

Dan's parents had left then, and I had the door closing, only a small space left to close. I stopped it when his parents were gone, and reopened it very quickly. I held Dan's sweet jaw in my hands, kissed him, and then finally pulled off, and closed the door.

Dan's POV

My mum and dad didn't mention Phil for the rest of the night. They seemed fully accepting of him. I was happy, but not surprised. Phil was kind and sweet, and obviously capable of being sophisticated when he had to, despite being so punk. It didn't go over well with my last boyfriend. He was a train wreck.

I went up to my room, where I texted Phil.

'You were amazing I think they really liked you :3 Even though it doesn't matter, since it's me who decides who I date or not. But they liked you so that's even better <3'

':) I'm glad!'

I wanted to see him. I wanted to be with him, under his arm and having him kiss my head. I wanted to cuddle. I kept thinking about him.

'Phil my parents are going out tomorrow night and wont be home until late. Want to come over tomorrow?'

'Yeah, sure'

I just wanted him over with me as soon as I could have him. He was perfect in every way. There was something I had to tell him.