Chapter 7 - Alex's Threat

Dan's POV

I slept comfortably the night after our date. Phil was so different than what people perceived him as. People who knew him described him as someone who would get with girls just to sleep with them. I didn't see it at all. He was playful, a poor sport at losing games (which was adorable), and incredibly considerate.

The weekend passed quickly on it's own. Phil and I had text each other all weekend, sending cute and kind messages back and forth, starting on Saturday morning:

'I had a really good time last night' he had said.

'Me too <3'

'So... sorry I'm kinda awkward'

'You aren't awkward, you're so sweet'

Once school returned on Monday, Emma ran up to me. She barely bothered to say hello before asking questions.

"Okay," she finally said. "Who is it?"

"Who is who?"

"Your boyfriend!"

"I don't have a boyfriend."

"Then who did you go out with Friday night? Who's car came to your house that night?"

"Weren't you supposed to be at a concert Friday night?"

"It wasn't long. I got home before nine. I saw the car that drove to your house, and you got out of it. Who was it?"

"No one."

She gave the obvious look of disbelief. "Are you... dating in secret?"

I knew there was no winning with her, but I promised Phil I wouldn't tell. "I'm not dating anyone, okay?"

"Alright. Sorry then."

I waited until we were in class. I glanced subtly over to see Phil sitting alone, looking casual. He looked at me and gave a small, sincere grin, and waved his fingers. I did the same.

Phil's POV

I had to put in effort not to look to my side and smile during class. Dan got up from his seat at one point to throw out some papers in the bin. As he did, he passed my desk, and very subtly placed a neatly folded piece of paper on it. I took it when he sat down, and quietly unfolded it:

'Phil,

I had an amazing night with you last Friday. I really like you and I want you to feel comfortable with me. Maybe we could go out tomorrow night? I'd really like to see you again :3'

I felt warm inside, and smiled slightly. I looked at him, who was busy taking notes for class. His eyes looked up at me. I gave him a nod. His eyes squeezed shut with happiness.

After class, a little annoyance caught up to me in the hall.

"Hey, Phil," Alex called. "So, have you gone out with that girl yet?"

I just remembered I had told him that I had someone in mind. Never did I specify gender.

"I'm not going out with anyone," I stated bluntly.

"Oh yeah? Too bad." His eyes looked at the paper I still had folded in my hand as I tried to walk away from him. "Hey, what's that?"

"Nothing." My grip tightened on it.

As expected, he grabbed it and tore it from me.

"Give it back," I growled, reaching for it.

He opened it, and his eyes skimmed the page. "Oh my God," he laughed. "Oh my God, you did go out with someone! Who is it?"

"Shut up, give it back."

He held it out of my reach. "Who is it, Phil? And why wont you tell me?" He went red with anger, but I couldn't understand why. This was normal for us. Why was he pissed? "Oh right, you never tell me anything anyway! Why are we even friends if we never talk?"

"You don't even talk to me! All you do is keep secrets! How does it feel to have a secret kept from you?"

Attacked, Alex ripped the note. "You sound really gay."

That was it. I refrained from punching him in the face. I wanted to break his nose. I wanted to see him bleed and cry like the baby he is in pain.

Alex and I had been friends since primary school and evolved into punks at the same time. He dyed his hair his signature vibrant red, and I went for blue, for the first time on the same day. We were always close. We never kept things from each other. He told me about all his crushes and I told him about mine. But we grew up. We stayed close. We didn't fight. Then, one day, only a year or so ago, Alex started dating someone. I never saw or met her. I never even learned her name. All I knew is that, for a change, a girl was really important to him, and he seemed to want more than what was beneath her skirt. He never talked about her. He made it very clear that he never wanted to. He began keeping more things from me. We fought. We drifted apart. Now, here I was, ready to beat him up like he had done to those who piss him off enough.

"Why are you such a jerk now?"

"If you wont tell me who you're dating," he spat, "I'll find out on my own."

He walked away. Why did this matter so much to him? Did he just threaten me? I didn't even care. I went to my next class.