Chapter Fifty-Five

Cora Mills walked free that day, of course she did, and all Emma had been trying to do since that phone call came in shortly after noon was try to calm Regina down out of her silent breakdown. This was certainly not how she envisioned spending the first full day of their weekend away and she was not going to let it be like this until they returned home either. It couldn't be like this. This weekend was about them and nothing, nothing was going to change that.

Not even fucking Cora Mills getting away with attempted murder.

Regina was curled up on the couch in her robe with her knees to her chest and her arms wrapped around her legs. Emma finished making Regina's cup of tea and placed the spoon on the counter with a sigh. She walked over to the couch and sat down next to her wife.

"Hey, I made you some tea," she said gently and Regina nodded her head, still staring ahead with a blank stare. Emma frowned and placed the mug on the coffee table before turning to look at Regina. "Baby, talk to me. I know you're upset. Talk to me, please?"

"Talk about what?" Regina whispered. "Talk about how my mother is free, the case thrown out and how there is no longer an active investigation because we had nothing more to go with?"

"Regina—"

"She was supposed to pay for what she did to you!"

"Gina," Emma soothed her hands over her tense shoulders. "Look, I wanted her to pay for what she did too and I'm not happy about how this turned out either. I really thought that this would be it, and unfortunately it's not. But, I have to believe that one day, one day fate is going to turn around on her and she will end up paying for not just what she did to me, but for all the things she did to you too."

"Perhaps," Regina sighed. "This was not how it was supposed to happen. It was—"

"I know, baby, I know," Emma said softly, pressing a soft kiss to the side of her head.

"I got to stop thinking about her," Regina murmured. "Why can't I? She is ruining our weekend, Emma, and she's not even here!"

The distress her wife was going through worried her to no end. She wanted to get her mind off of everything, she wanted to just enjoy the weekend together and she was going to make sure that happened no matter what. She gathered Regina in her arms and pulled her on to her lap, smiling as Regina gave in and let her without any protest.

Regina sank into Emma, giving in to the soft kisses she was placing over her lips. She knew how to distract her wife well and so far it was working when her earlier attempts had failed. Sex was the ultimate distraction and one she hadn't wanted to push for earlier for obvious reasons, but now it was all she could think about. If it was distraction enough for her, surely it'd be more than enough for her wife.

"We're married," Emma whispered against her lips, her hand smoothing over her thigh and under her soft robe. "This is our first weekend alone together. Nothing is going to ruin this for us, okay, Regina? You are my wife and I am yours and we are going to enjoy this weekend despite everything else."

"We're married," Regina echoed. "You're right," she said with the faintest hint of a smile.

"This is our weekend."

"Our weekend," she said softly, her smile easing over her lips slowly. "Our honeymoon."

"Technically our mini-honeymoon."

Regina playfully rolled her eyes. Emma smiled because it was working, bit by bit and she was helping her take her mind off of everything else. Her hand smoothed over Regina's soft, silky thigh, rising higher with every caress. She would never tire of touching Regina, feeling how soft, how warm her skin was, not just against the palm of her hands and her fingertips, but with every inch of her body.