Chapter Sixty-Seven

Ruby danced across Kathryn's kitchen, the sound of JLo's 'Love Don't Cost A Thing' blaring from the iPod dock on the kitchen counter, the song coming on randomly and throwing Ruby for a loop down memory lane. She scooped up her wine glass from the table, her hips still moving to the beat of the song and she laughed when Kathryn walked in with two unopened bottles of wine she'd fetched from the wine cellar.

"What on earth are you doing?"

"Dancing," Ruby chuckled and raised her glass to her lips, taking a small sip. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Honestly?" Kathryn teased as she put the bottles down on the counter by the fridge. "It looks like you're dry humping the air."

"And you'd rather me be dry humping you?"

"Naturally," Kathryn chuckled and she squealed when Ruby wrapped an arm around her and reached out to place her glass on the counter. "Ruby, what are you doing?"

"Dancing with my incredibly hot, sexy girlfriend."

"They'll be here soon!"

"Em text me a little while ago, said they might be a little later than six."

"Of course that are," Kathryn chuckled. "They got over their little...whatever it was."

"Thank god because I don't know how much longer I could handle Em being so mopey and moody because her wife was being a bitch."

"Ruby!" Kathryn playfully slapped her shoulder. "She's not a bitch! That's my best friend you're talking about!"

"Well, she is sometimes!"

Kathryn rolled her eyes and Ruby laughed just as she dipped her head down to capture her girlfriend's lips with her own. While they did spend a fair amount of time together, they weren't quite as inseparable as Em and Regina were. They had a healthy, active sex life too, something Ruby never took for granted considering Kathryn was still oddly vanilla sometimes when they were in her bed. She never pushed her for more, respecting the fact that Kathryn was still, after nine months of being together, getting used to the fact that she was sleeping with another woman on a regular basis.

The fact that Kathryn was vanilla didn't stop them from spending hours making out like they were a couple of teenagers all over again. The only time that Kathryn wasn't vanilla was when she'd had a few drinks, but even then, she never pushed her for more. Ruby was happy with her, happier than she'd ever been and she was in love and she still hadn't told her.

To be fair, Kathryn hadn't said those three little words to her either, but she felt it every time they were even just in the same room together. She felt it in every kiss, every touch. She saw it in every look and heard it underneath all the words that Kathryn said. She knew that Kathryn knew she loved her or else they wouldn't still be together, that much she was certain of. She knew that Kathryn felt that love the same way that she felt hers and it was what kept them happy, despite never saying the words aloud to one another. Em and Regina, even in the very beginning, hadn't held back on their feelings, so why was it so different for her and Kathryn?

She had been thinking far too much about it lately, wondering why she hadn't been able to tell her girlfriend of nine months that she was in love with her, that she loved her? She knew she loved Kathryn, there was no single doubt about it, but why couldn't she just say those three little words?

"Ruby," Kathryn groaned as she broke away from the kiss. "You're thinking about something, aren't you? Thinking about something other than kissing me..."

"Am I?"

"You're awfully distracted."

"Oh," Ruby sighed and she shook her head. "Well, I'm not distracted anymore."