Chapter Seventy-Six

First thing Monday morning, Regina was the first to be awake and ready to start the day. She put the coffee on after she'd showered and dressed for the day before she headed upstairs to wake up the kids, starting with Henry before making her way to Rachel's room. They had spoken of her going to pre-school throughout the weekend, but Regina was almost certain that the toddler didn't know exactly what that had meant.

Being a creature of habit, Regina was more than determined to get the toddler into a strict morning routine. After fussing with a very sleepy, very cranky Rachel, she had her dressed and her hair brushed shortly before eight. By the time she got her down into the kitchen, Emma was already up, showered and dressed, sipping coffee while chatting with their son as he ate a bowl of cheerios.

"Hey," Emma smiled as Regina leaned in for a kiss. "Morning."

"Good morning, my love," Regina smiled, kissing her once more and careful not to let her lips linger for too long in front of their children.

"Hey, Rach," Henry said with a mouthful of cereal. "All ready for your first day of pre-school?"

"Yep!" Rachel said with a grin despite her sleepy, cranky mood. "Up?" She said to Regina and held out her arms until Regina picked her up and placed her on the stool next to Henry. "You go to school too?"

"Yep," he grinned. "Only I go to a different school."

"Why?"

"Because I'm older."

"Why?"

"Because I was born first," Henry chuckled. "When you're older, you'll get to go to the same school as me."

"Yeah?"

"Next year, right?" Henry asked both his mothers and Emma was the first to nod her head. "Are you excited, Rach?"

"No," she said, feigning a pout she couldn't hold before she started to giggle. "I excited!"

"Are we all taking her to pre-school, Ma?"

"If you want, kid," Emma replied with a shrug. "You'll be late though."

"You can't write me a note?"

"Don't you have a math quiz this morning?"

"Yeah, but it's Rachel's first day. I want to be there when you guys drop her off."

"I'm sure his teacher will allow him to make up the quiz if he misses it," Regina said softly and Emma sighed and nodded her head. "If you hurry up and get ready, we can head out early enough that you won't be late for school, Henry."

It was another half an hour before they were in both vehicles, Rachel with Emma since they'd planned on keeping the car seat in there until a second one was purchased and Henry opted on going along with Regina. The car ride to the daycare center was quick and they entered as a family, Rachel holding tightly on to Emma's hand as they walked through the front doors and found the small classroom she'd been placed in.

There were about a dozen other children already there, the sound of laughter filling their ears before they even entered. The teacher, Ms. Bell, sat at a small table with a few children and rose to her feet with a bright smile as they entered the room together.

"Mayor Swan-Mills," the blonde haired woman smiled. "Sheriff," she nodded over at Emma and then knelt down in front of Rachel. "I'm Ms. Bell, but everyone calls me Tink."

"Tink?" Rachel scrunched her nose and looked up at Emma before turning her attention back to the young teacher. "Funny."

"Yes, my parents thought so," she chuckled and stuck out her hand. "What's your name?"