13. The life I dreamed

Can we just appreciate Sasuke's smooth moves in the gif? No? Okay...T_T kawaiii....even though he's wearing a baby's onesie.

13. The life I dreamed

Sasuke peered into your eyes, there were intense emotions conflicted at the surface of your [e/c] orbs. He had heard you crying and screaming as he was passing by the door on his way to meeting Kakashi. He recognized your voice and his curiosity had gotten the best of him. He didn't know why you were wailing but knew it wasn't his place to ask. If you were willing, you would tell him why you were crying on your own accords.

Sasuke pulled you to your feet and you let go of his hand as soon as you had steadied yourself. You knew he was just trying to be a sympathetic friend but his hands weren't the hands you wanted to hold.

"Thanks," you managed to mumble, brushing your stray hair that was sticking to your tear streaked face.

"Mhm," he casually replied, recalling the secrets you had spilled to him during your academy days,"your boyfriend-"

"He's not my boyfriend," you corrected Sasuke, your eyes drifting from his coal black eyes. They were so sharp and calculating, his gaze made you feel small," I was just being a silly child when I told you that. He could never be my boyfriend."

"You didn't tell him, did you?"

"No, I didn't tell him I was dy-" He cuts you off with a stern expression. He had already figured you had not told your boyfriend or whatever about you dying.

"What I meant to ask was, you didn't tell him you love him, did you?"

"No."

"Why not?"

Ever since you had met Neji, you thought you would be able to tell him you love him. You thought you would be able to tell him everything you loved about him, show him every thing you felt. You promised you would confess if you ever beat him in a match but now that you were growing older you had came to understand something significant.

"I don't get to live that life."

It was a life you dreamed of every night.

"That life?"

"I don't get to grow up. I don't get to have a beautiful wedding with the person I love and I don't get to invite all my friends to that wedding. I don't get to have children and watch them graduate from the academy. I don't get to tell them ' you did it! Mom is so proud of you!'. I don't get to age and grow old with the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. I don't get to live that life.That's why I can't tell him I love him. I can't make him think that there's a future for us because there's no future for us. I didn't understand that when I was younger. I didn't even understand that yesterday but I understand it now. It's the same as wishing for rain in the middle of the barren desert."

Sasuke listened to your every word. Every sentence rang the truth. That life you spoke of, that life you dreamed to have with Neji, even if you wished and wished on every fallen star, on every birthday cake, it would never happen.

"You're strong," Sasuke said without thinking," a lot stronger than you look."

You smiled appreciatively at him even though it ached," are you complimenting me, Sasuke Uchiha?"