23. Redemption

Dead.

You were suppose to be dead.

You were the child that died in the fire that night, you were sure of it. Why else would the picture be there? Why would the spirits lead you there? Yes, you were dead, you felt dead, you had almost forgotten what it felt like to breathe as you took in a sharp breathe of air.

Air that filled your lungs.

A reminder that you were very much alive

And you exhaled .

You're suppose to be dead.

You looked up realizing it wasn't the voice in your head that was speaking to you.

A black shadow crawled out from behind a box and before you could even think about running, it flies towards you, entering your body through your mouth and wrapping your body in long tender darkness.

"Stay here honey. I'll be right back I promise."

"But I'm scared."

"There's nothing to be scared of honey."

"There are ghosts in there."

"I've rummaged through the closet all the time. I've never seen a ghost."

"But maybe they saw you."

"Please. Just go in."

"Okay."

The mother helped her daughter into the closet, promising her she would be back after she chased the bad guys away. The girl sat and sat, waiting and waiting. But no one came. Just the burning sensation of her skin being set on fire as she screamed a scream that could never be heard and banged with fists that may never feel again.

"Wake up, you have to wake up."

Crying.

It sounds like Mom.

"Come on."

"There is only one thing you can do now." An unfamiliar voice joined the crying woman who was carrying the girl in her arms.

"There's nothing I can do. You know that, my power ended after having her."

"You're right. You may not have the power of the five seals anymore," the woman crouched down to touch the child's face," but you still have the power of a mother's."

The mother blinked her tears away.

"Use the last of what you are if you truly want to save her."

This was....

The mother raised a palm to her child's chest and a bright green aura began to glow from her palm.

This was redemption.

As the little girl fluttered her eyes open, she could see the figures of several children standing around her.

Spirits that were bounded to this earth .

The unfamiliar woman picked the child up from her dead mother's arm," your story isn't over yet child. If you want to truly be free. You must destroy the Sacred Jewel of the Moon Deity. That is the only way you can be free. And that is the only way they can be free."

The little girl turned her head, the shadows of children followed them slowly among the trees.

"Don't worry. You may not remember anything when you wake up but they will come find you when the time is right."

"Wake up."

Who was calling you?

"Wake up [name]."

"Neji?"

You were staring into his face, confused. What was he doing here? What were you doing here? You were standing outside in front of the entrance to Konoha.

"What-?"

"You were sleep walking," he immediately told you before you could even ask.

"Sleep walking?" You furrowed your brows together thinking deeply as your memories began to dawn on you," Neji I know what to do! Get Sakura and Naruto here pronto! We're going on a trip!"

Neji stared at you wondering if you had lost your mind but gave you a firm nod and disappeared to find the other two members of the squad.

Yes, you were going on a trip to the very place it all started.

The Fire Temple.