16. My First Love Neji

Italics = memories

16. My First Love Neji

It happened so quickly.

One moment you shared a kiss with Neji and a moment later Kiba barged into the room, grabbed Neji from behind, spun him around and threw a tight fist at the genius. His punch was milliseconds from landing but Neji's reflex kicked in instantly and rotation was used. Kiba flew back, colliding into the nurses who were screaming bloody hell and you were thrown back in your hospital bed with eyes as wide as saucers. 

That's when shit got real and they started going ALL out in the middle of the hospital room. Three nurses were begging them to stop because there was a 'sick' patient in the room whilst one nurse sat back and enjoyed the show. 

Neji and Kiba continued to battle, your shouting was distant to them as you desperately asked them to stop. The window was broken, there were several holes on the ground and dents in the walls. 

"STOP FIGHTING! I'M NOT GOING TO PAY FOR ALL THE DAMAGE!" You said, wishing they would listen.

Neji dragged Kiba up by the collar after blocking most of Kiba's chakra points. He was seconds from throwing one last blow when Kiba finally spat out," tell him or I'll tell him the truth."

Neji's fist stopped in midair and he narrowed his eyes at Kiba," tell me what?"

Kiba eyes shifted behind Neji, landing squarely on you. His black slits for eyes penetrated you," tell him."

The lump in your throat tightened, squeezing out the air you breathed,"Kiba," you managed to say.

"JUST FVCKING TELL HIM!" Kiba screamed, losing his patience. He was tired of this bullshit. You either tell him you two were together or he would tell Neji you were dying.

Your breath hitched in your throat as you sought the right words to speak. This was it, the moment you had been fearing for the past two years. The nurses had grown still, knowing what Kiba was referring too. They too knew about your condition and how it could kill you. You tightened your grip around your blanket. 

This wasn't just about you anymore. This was about Neji. This was about your friends. How could you possibly let them live knowing you were going to die? How can you tell them without destroying everything around you?

After all, fire is a symbol of destruction.

And right now, you were the fire ready to burn down a forest of trust. 

"I-I'm," tears brimmed your eyes as you tried to find to find the right words to say," we're together."

The hand Neji had around Kiba's collar shook with uncontrollable disbelief before he loosened his hold around the boy," what did you say?" Neji questioned in a hoarse voice. 

"I'm," you gulped, forcing yourself to play a role on a stage you didn't want to take part on," I'm saying I love Kiba."

Neji turned to face you, forgetting all about his fight with Kiba. His mind was running a hundred miles per hour trying to catch up with what you were saying, trying to fathom the situation he was in," I don't believe you."

"You don't believe me?!" You asked trying to sound angry, jumping down from the bed and bravely walking up to him," I said I'm in love with Kiba!"

"That makes no sense," Neji remarked," I know your heart, I know you."

"You don't know my heart," you said while cutting him off," if you did then you would know that I have always been in love with Kiba. You would know that I have always liked him, that I have always been looking after him. If you knew my heart then you would have seen that he has always been more than just a friend!"

Neji held your gaze, trying to find any hint of a false statement, but he couldn't find any. After all, you were very good at hiding the truth in plain sight,"then what am I?"

"You're," my first love, "my best friend."

Neji tilted his head to the side a bit and gave you a small smile, a sad smile," you're my best friend too."

You felt your chest tighten in sorrow, it was the first time he had ever called you his best friend in return. 

Neji leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on the center of your forehead, was it okay for him to kiss his best friend like this? He wondered as he pulled away to see the tears rolling down your face,"I hope you're happy."

"I am," you lied,"you should go now, both of you, I'm tired and I need to rest."

"Yea," Neji agreed.

"I'll stay for a few more minutes," Kiba grumbled, trying not to pummel Neji for kissing you in front of him.

You watched him leave. The two of you were two halves of a perfect circle. Two halves that will never be able to complete one another.

Neji took one last look at you. 

You were his best friend.

If I can't love you as a lover then I will love you as a friend.

---

ba dum tsss 

continue to the special chapter :D