CHAPTER 2 : I'm Glad You Showed Up

"What?!" Tasha said, her eyes wide in disbelief, "75,000?! It's not even worth that much!" the mechanic droid bleeped next to the parts dealer, and he nodded to it, its blue buzzing wings flapping furiously.

"75000 is a good price for that much work!" the dealer argued. Tasha rolled her eyes sarcastically. She only owed Jabba 25,000, and she couldn't work it off without a ship.

"How much would I get for it, parts wise?" she questioned, raising her eyebrows. The parts dealer assessed the ship in front of him, his expert eye scrutinising it.

"10, maybe 15," she nodded absentmindedly.

"What's your best offer?" she asked, and the parts dealer smiled slightly.

"I'll give you . . . twelve, take it or leave it," she scanned her eyes over the ship. It was a fair offer for the state she was in. she cast her eyes once more over the Vengeance knowing it would be the last time she saw her precious ship.

"deal." She said, shaking hands with the toydarian as he handed over the pile of credits. She grabbed her black duffle bag off the pilot seat, running her fingers over the worn  leather for the final time.

The strong sun beat down onto her head as she walked through the streets, dust collecting on her boots and the seams of her leather trousers. She looked up at the signs hanging above the doorways, and was rewarded with an eyeful of sand. Cantina read the broken neon sign that hung above Tasha's head. She pushed through the heavy door and was greeted with a breath of the smoke-filled air. She sighed at the relative cool as she walked over to the bar; ignoring the stares she was receiving from other patrons.

"What can I get you?" said the bartender in a gruff tone. She looked up and down the bar at the various mixes the other aliens were drinking.

"Something strong," she replied, and he nodded turning his back to her. She cast her eyes over the room, her lip curling in disgust at the drunken laughter and the strange smelling smoke that floated around her. The barman passed her a semi-opaque cup, about half full of a vile-looking blue liquid, and she tossed him a few coins and a small nod of thanks. A tall man stood next to her at the bar, but she wasn't exactly paying attention.

"I'll have what she's having," he said, and Tasha's eyes flew open. She knew that voice. She turned deliberately, slowly, towards the 'stranger', a smirk growing on her face.

"Han Solo," she said, facing him and leaning on the bar.

"Latasha Ryann," he replied with mock surprise, causing her to let out another laugh, "what are you doing here?" he asked. She smirked at him, although he saw the flicker of sadness in her mesmerising green eyes.

"I had to sell my ship," she sighed. A small look of concern passed his face.

"I'm sorry," he said, his eyes flicking to a booth in the corner, "do you want a drink?" 

"Already got one hotshot," she said, gesturing to the cup on the bar. Han looked at the cup thoughtfully for a moment, then plucked it off the bar and started walking back to the table.

"Solo!" she said, cross, "give me back my drink!" she stormed after him through the crowd when an obviously drunk man grabbed her wrist.

"Hey sweetheart," he said with an obvious slur to his voice, "what's the rush?"

"Please let me go," Tasha said, twisting her wrist in his grasp.

"Why should I do that?" he said with a smirk. Unfortunately for him, Tasha had just about had enough today, with Jabba on her back, loosing the Vengeance, everything, just taking its toll. She smiled sweetly at the man, and stopped struggling. Her right hand had balled itself into a fist, and she smashed it into the man's jaw, knocking him out cold. His now limp body fell to the floor, and she pushed his hand off her in disgust.

"That's why you should," Tasha spat. She continued to walk over to Solo, smirking slightly at the slightly shocked look on his face. She pulled the jacket off her arms, slinging it over her bag, exposing her toned arms and the scoop neckline of her top.

"As a matter of fact Solo," she said when she reached him, sliding into the seat next to him, "I'm glad you showed up," she sipped the drink, the liquid a lot more pleasant than it looked.

"Oh yeah, why's that princess?" he said, smirking again.

"I need a ride," Han opened his mouth to speak, and Tasha put up a hand, "any sarcastic comments and you'll end up like him," she said, jerking her head to indicate the unconscious drunk.

"Ok, princess," he said, putting his hands up in mock surrender, "where do you need a ride to?"

"Alderaan," she replied quickly, twirling a string of hair around her finger, "so, how about it, hotshot? How much?" Han looked at her in surprise.

"Look sweetheart, I think you're in enough debt with Jabba without me adding to the bill." Tasha rolled her eyes.

"That's not your problem," she said.

"Oh, but it is," he said, setting his feet on the table and laying his hands behind his head, "from that moment I stopped you from having to where one of Jabba's slutty slave outfits, I made it my problem." Tasha glared at the stubborn smuggler, assessing the situation.

"Fine, alright flyboy. So, can you take me to Alderaan?"

He grinned at her. "I think I can manage it, princess." He took his feet off the table, "docking bay 94." She smiled at him, standing again.

"Thanks flyboy."

"Are you going somewhere?" he said. She laughed.

"Only for another drink. Besides, I think your Wookiee has got more business for you," she jerked her head in the direction of the bar, where a tall, furry brown creature was leading over a cute, young blonde, farm boy and a man in a brown cloak that obscured his face. "But, I'll be back in a minute,"

She winked at the blonde as she passed him, and Han shook his head slightly after her. she sure was something else.