Chapter 8 : The Big Goodbye

Tasha ripped the shiny white helmet from her raven head, glaring daggers at Han solo.

"You know between his howling," she gestured to the tall Wookiee stood next to the smuggler, "and your blasting everything in sight it's a wonder the whole damn station doesn't know we're here." Han returned her icy look.

"Bring 'em on," he replied, "I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around." Tasha looked away, crossing her arms and a mocking expression fighting its way onto her face, her piercing green eyes shooting daggers at the smuggler.

"Just who the hell do you think you-"

"We've found the computer outlet sir." Piped up Threepio, somewhat nervously cutting Tasha off, mid-rant; not something many people would be happy doing.

"Plug in," replied Obi-wan, giving Tasha a cautionary look she was all too used to, "you should be able to interpret the entire imperial network." Artoo gave an enthusiastic beep that would've made Tasha smile if she wasn't so angry with Han. Images of the tractor beam flashed across the screen, but Tasha wasn't paying attention. She felt that presence again, feeling for her, trying to find her.

"- a power loss at one of these terminals would allow the ship to leave." Threepio finished in his monotonous voice. Obi-wan surveyed the readouts with his practiced, analytical eye, memorising every inch.

"I don't think you three can help me," he said after a moment, his eyes falling around the group, resting on Tasha, "I must go alone."

"Whatever you say," said Han, totally oblivious to the significance of the moment, "I've had more than I bargained for on this trip already."

"I wanna go with you," Luke said, slightly pleadingly. Obi-wan glanced over to Tasha, and she shook her head slightly. She didn't want him to confront Vader just yet. He smiled slightly, trying to reassure the boy.

"Be patient young Luke. Stay here with Tasha and watch over the droids." Luke made a noise of protest but obi-wan raised hand, shushing him, "they all must be delivered safely or more star systems will suffer the same fate as Alderaan." He glanced at Tasha again. "The force will be with you," he said to the boy, "always. Tasha can I have a word." The raven-headed girl shrugged, standing next to him.

"I'm glad we got to meet again, Tasha," he said.

"Why are you talking like you aren't coming back?" Tasha replied, rather anxiously. Obi-wan smiled a rather sad smile.

"You know why, Tash," he replied. She nodded.

"Why do you have to face him?" she said, her face betraying her emotions that were coursing through her body.

"Tash, he killed, no murdered, you, and you're defending him? Still trying to protect him?" Tasha snorted.

"Protecting him? No." she took his hand in hers, gripping it tightly, hanging onto it for dear life. "No, I'm protecting you, idiot. Ben," she said, using his nickname, "you were my best friend. I would've looked for you but I didn't know if you were still alive. No one did. I . . ." she let out a sigh. "I don't think Bail Organa would've told me if he even did know where you were; he knew I'd hunt you down, run away . . . bring the Jedi back."

"You would've, and you nearly did." He said. Tasha smiled sheepishly, her eyes crinkling slightly.

"I'd already done the public eye," she replied, waving her hand in front of her, "and we all know the life of dresses and politics and parties never suited me."

"The dresses suited you." He said, his trademark cheeky grin covering his features. She smacked his arm softly, playfully, grinning as well.

"I'm glad we got to meet again, Obi-wan" she said, leaning over and pecking his cheek.