Chapter 20 : The Battle in The Skies

The battle in the skies raged on.

"Watch out," Tasha said, "there's a lot of fire coming from the right side of that deflection tower,"

"Copy that, red eight." Replied the commander, although there was a touch of annoyance in his voice that Tasha couldn't understand.

"I'm on it," said Biggs. "Cover me Porkins."

"I'm right with ya, red three."

The two ships banked together, Biggs firing at the tower Tasha had pointed out, turning it into a roaring blaze that ripped a hole in the station's outer covering, sailing out past it.

"I've got a problem here," that set of words made Tasha's heart beat faster.

"Eject!" she yelled into the radio.

"No, I can hold it!" came the reply, making her swell with annoyance and panic.

"Pull up!" she said, her voice twinged with desperation.

"No! I'm all- Ahh!" a scream filled the radio, and then there was nothing but static as the ship disappeared in a ball of flames, ripping apart from the inside. Tasha bit back the shock of it, saving it for later. If there was a later.

"Squad leader," said a voice from the base, "we've picked up a new group of signals." It sounded grave. "Enemy fighters. Coming your way."

"That just made my day." Tasha said, a sly grin framing her features. That was more like it.

"My scope's negative, I don't see anything." Said Luke.

"Pick up your visual scanning," said red leader, Tasha already ahead of him.

"Here they come!" she said, suddenly serious again.

About a dozen TIE fighters swerved, moving towards the rebel's ships.

"Watch it. You've got one on your tail!" said red leader in a voice that was far too detached for Tasha's liking. The pilot tried to look behind him, to spot the attacker, to avoid it, but he was too late. Its shot found its mark.

"I'm hit!" came the voice, cut short by an anguished cry as his ship too exploded. Tasha turned her head, watching her screen.

Luke apparently had been doing the same thing.

"Biggs, you've picked one up, watch it!" said the farm boy.

"I can't see it!" Biggs replied anxiously, his fighter swerving cautiously, anxiously from side to side, trying to shake the fighter.

"He's on me tight. I can't shake him!" said Biggs's anxious voice again. The TIE fired its green bolts of destruction at the X-wing, Biggs trying to dodge them.

"I'll be right there," said Luke, determination in his voice. Luke manoeuvred into position behind the fighter and Biggs. The fighter swerved away from the rebel ship, back into space, trying to escape the threat of the ship on its tail. It was too slow though, as Luke locked onto it, sending it disappearing into space in a cloud of fire and debris.

"Watch your back Tasha!" said Luke, "fighters coming in from above you," Tasha's ship was rocked by laser bolts flying by her, not hitting their mark but almost.

"Well thanks for that!" she said sarcastically. A blast hit her near her left engine, sending off a cloud of sparks, and she let out a small cry of surprise.

"You okay?" Luke asked. Tasha took a deep breath, steadying herself.

"I'm hit, but not bad." She said her voice rather squeaky, "R7 see what you can do with It." she would've preferred having Artoo at her side, but he'd been assigned to Luke.

"Red five," said someone on base, "can you see red eight?"

"There's a heavy fire zone," said Luke, looking out his port window, "Tasha where are you?"

"I can't shake him!" Tasha said in a disbelieving panic as she tried to out-manoeuvre the TIE fighter, even spinning at one point.

"I'm on him, Tash. Hold on." Said Wedge. She watched her screen, moving toward the tiny dot that was red two.

"Blast it, Luke! Where are you?" she said in frustration, arcing up into space in a last ditch attempt to shake him. Wedge's ship sailed directly towards her, and Tasha swerved to the side as he came blazing past, blowing the TIE into smithereens and flying straight through it. Tasha breathed out a breath she didn't realise she was holding.

"Wow, thanks Wedge," she said, feeling her confidence return to her.

"Good shooting Wedge," said Luke, sounding as relieved as Tasha felt.