Chapter 20 : Vader

"Red leader, this is gold leader. We're starting our attack run." The Y-wings moved out from under the fire of the TIEs and towers towards the trench that could lead to the destruction of this battle station, although it would all be for nothing if they didn't hurry.

"I copy gold leader. Move into position, we'll cover you."

"The exhaust port is marked and locked in." said gold leader. Tasha felt her heart speed up with a new pump of adrenalin.

Something tugged at Tasha, a presence in the back of her mind, causing her thoughts to race. That team wouldn't be getting out of there alive.

"Switch all power to front deflector screens," said the leader as gun fire inundated them.

"How many guns do you think, gold five?" asked red leader.

"About twenty guns, some on the surface, some on the towers." Tasha shot down a TIE that was getting too close for comfort. Tasha glanced at her screen. Five minutes, she thought, five minutes left. Five minutes to save Leia, to save Jyn, to save all the people on the base she cares about.

"Watch for enemy fighters."

"They're coming in! Three mark 210."

A flash of bright light and a rebel fighter disappeared off Tasha's radar. She only heard one shot. There was only one person in the empire that was that accurate.

"Vader," she breathed; her voice well below a whisper.

Another flash, an anguished cry, and another fighter disappeared. Tasha felt her throat constrict slightly at her realisation. He was the best pilot she had ever known; could they really beat that? This bunch of renegades and rebels that couldn't possibly have ever been up against anyone this dangerous.

"Gold five to red leader," said a scratchy voice, "lost Tiree, lost Hutch,"

"I copy gold five,"

"They came from behind-" a final cry and then nothing. She cast a look out her window and saw the red ball of flames that used to be red five. She felt that all too familiar knot of guilt in her stomach.

"Red boys, meet at mark 6.1." said red leader, calling up the next suicide squad to take their chance at firing the shot to take this out.

"This is red eight flying towards you," Tasha said, drawing on the last emotional reserves she had that weren't falling apart and tearing her down with them.

"Red five standing by," said Luke.

"Red three here," piped up Biggs.

"Red leader this is base one," said Dodonna. Well, this must be serious.

"I copy base one,"

"Keep half of your group out of range for the next run,"

"Roger base," said red leader, "Tasha, take red two, three and five, and wait for my signal to start your run. Here's your chance to lead this thing hotshot," Tasha smiled.

"I haven't been called that in a long time. Roger that, red leader. Good luck sir." She had a smile on her face that only flying like this gave her.

"Luke, wedge, Biggs, follow me."

"We're with ya Tash," said wedge, the three of them flying up next to her.