Chapter 17 : It Felt Like a Kick in The Guts, I Guess

Tasha ducked under the wing of her ship, tinkering with some frankly ancient looking wires.

"What are you doing?" asked a voice from behind her. Tasha sighed in resignation.

" if I attach these two wires together, then I should be able to get a lot more speed out of this thing without it putting anymore stress on any of it's vital systems." He stayed put, stood behind her as her deft fingers twitched the wire into a constant piece. She turned to look at him.

"Look, Tasha," Han started uncertainly, "I'm never gonna apologise for who I am and how I live my life-"

"And I wouldn't ask you to," said Tasha.

"Yeah," he said, reaching his hand back and scratching the back of his neck. He didn't say anything, but he didn't really have to.

"I was angry about it because this is really more important to me than my own life" Tasha told him, "and I felt that you were someone I could trust, someone who respected that, and then you go and essentially attack the very thing that's the most important to me, and it felt like a kick in the guts, I guess."

"And I'm sorry about that, Tash," he said, frowning. The two of them just stood there for a moment, both of them having said what they needed to.

Then, something she really wouldn't have expected to happen, well, happened. Han leaned in and pressed a soft, quick kiss to her cheek.

"Take care of yourself up there, sweetheart," he said with a hint of a smirk, turning and leaving her stood up against the side of her ship, her helmet hanging from her hand.

Tasha felt her heartbeat quicken slightly. How could he do this to her? not half an hour ago she felt as though she was gonna smack him in his smug face and now he was making her heart thump out of her chest. He made him so . . . so . . . not even Tasha knew how to describe it. But she knew one thing.

She wasn't gonna let anyone in this time, not if what had occurred last time she did that was any indicator of what could indeed happen again, and not just to her heart. She shook herself mentally, tugging her helmet over her raven head before climbing into the cockpit of her x-wing.

"Red eight, ready for take off,"