Chapter 16

Daniel's phone rang as he exited the alley, and he answered. It was Edward.

"Where are you?!"

Daniel laughed. "Relax! I'm still alive! I was attacked by three men at the park, but I'm okay now. I don't think it's safe to meet at the park now though..."

"How about the library? At the entrance?"

"See you there."

**********************

Daniel went inside. It had been a month since his last visit, and he wondered if that Harry Potter book he'd been waiting for was here. Wandering over to a computer, he typed in the title into the search catalogue: "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" and silently punched the air in jubilation as he saw the book's status: AVAILABLE.

Running his eyes over the shelves, he stopped as he approached the 'R's and snatched up the 652 page paperback novel.

As he checked out the book, he couldn't wait to immerse himself into the fictional world of Harry Potter. It was a world more exciting then his, although in the recent light of events his was slightly more adventurous. He loved the way J.K. Rowling managed to keep him glued to the pages, making him burn the midnight oil just trying to find out what happened next. And when he was younger, he loved the Harry Potter world because it was paradise compared to the hellish, prison-like atmosphere of his home, where he could be the hero, duelling and defeating others by wandcraft. The gritty, action-packed explosiveness of the tale was just simply perfect. Once he entered, he would refuse to leave until he was sure it was safe to come out. J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter were the closest things he had as friends as a lonely boy in school.

"It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting along in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind."

And with that first sentence, Daniel drowned in the magical world of Harry Potter.

******************

An hour went past with the blink of an eye, leaving Daniel on page 247 and with adrenaline coursing through him. He was barely one-third through the book, but the rest would have to wait. Tomorrow, perhaps. Or the day after.

Edward was waiting at the entrance. When he saw the Harry Potter book, he raised an eyebrow, but kept quiet and began walking.

"We need to pick up some food from the supermarket if we're going back to the bomb shelter," Edward explained.

"What were you doing in the past hour?" Daniel asked.

"Gathering info."

"On what?"

"You. Your father. Rebecca."

"Nothing's happen to her, right?" There was a slight edge in his voice. He swallowed down the guilt. He hadn't thought of her since his Saturday escape. Nothing could've happened since that Saturday night he left... After all, today was only Monday, wasn't it...

Edward didn't reply straight away. He knew how hot tempered Daniel could be, and he didn't want to be the lit matchstick to the fuel. He chose his words carefully.

"From what I've heard, your father blew the roof when you ran away. He rang all your friends, classsmates, even going round to the school to speak to your teachers. When he couldn't find any solid info, he went back home and took it out on your sister. Apparently she's warded in hospital for a broken rib or something..."

Daniel's eyes were ablaze with fury. "What did he do? How did she end up in hospital? I was only gone for less than two days!"

Edward did not reply.

"Tell me!"

Passerbys turned to stare, but Daniel didn't notice them. Edward heaistated. "I was told that he kicked, punched and whipped her, and he ended up breaking the rib bone."

"That bastard! He will pay, I swear!! I'm going to find him now!"

Edward grabbed Daniel's arm before he could run off. "Stop it, Daniel. You won't find him anywhere. He's gone. Why don't we visit your sister instead?"

******************

The hospital was sterile and quiet, and the smell of disinfectant hung heavily in the air. Daniel's sneakers squealed as he headed down the corridors. Edward struggled to keep up with him.

Daniel's eyes scanned the ward numbers frantically. Ward 169, Ward 170, Ward 171... Ward 172.

Daniel entered the ward and checked out the six beds inside. His heart leapt as he picked out Rebecca's face. Striding over to his sister's bedside, he looked down into his sister. She looked so fragile, tucked up in the starch white blankets, wearing a set of purple pajamas. Somehow she seemed to have aged. Her face, though peaceful and sleeping, was more haggard. Beneath the bruises, he could see that fear had left its mark upon her face. It had scarred her.

Daniel reached down and held his Rebecca's hand. She was awake instantly, and Edward found himself looking away as brother and sister hugged.

"What did he do to you?"

Rebecca grimaced as she sat up. Through an unbuttoned top button, he could see bandages crisscrossing inside. Daniel could only imagine the pain she was going through, both physically and mentally.

"He went crazy when you ran away. He took it out on me. I cried and cried, screaming myself hoarse, begging him to stop, but he wouldn't. I tried to snatch the cane away, but I failed. He didn't show a single fibre of mercy in his being. You had no idea how much it took, for me to escape. I had cane marks over my arms and legs. I couldn't stand up. I couldn't even crawl. I lay flat on the floor, using my arms to pull me forward, like they do in the army. I was almost at the door, when he picked me up, and flung me as hard as he could across the living room. I fell onto the coffee table, and I knew something was wrong immediately. There was like a fire on my chest, and I momentarily blacked out. When I was half conscious, I could hear him talking on the phone..."

"What did he say?"

Rebecca paused to think. "He said... He said something like 'row ship', 'surf', 'attitude' and 'money'. He was moaning about something that would be lost soon. And he mentioned something about a surgery done when you were born."

Daniel was puzzled. "Surgery? If I did have surgery, why didn't Dad or Mum tell me?"

Rebecca shrugged.

"So where's Dad now?"

"He ran off as soon as he ended his call. I waited until he was gone before I even dared to move. I had to call for the ambulance myself."

"I shouldn't have left that night... I'm sorry..."

There was a commotion from further up the corridor. Daniel looked up from Rebecca's bed to see two policemen and nurse approaching. They were arguing with each other.

"We're here to ask the girl questions about her older brother and father! Now will you please let us in!" shouted one of them.

The irritated nurse scowled at them. "You can't just walk in and out as you please, our patients have to rest too!"

Daniel hastily grabbed his bag from the chair he'd seated it in. He gave his sister an awkward hug. "I'll be back soon, okay?" he said, before grabbing Edward by the arm and dragging him out the ward and out of sight behind a couple of potted plants.

The duo tried to behave as normal as possible, walking down the corridor, past the two policemen. Only then did they breathe a sigh of relief. Which didn't last long.

"Hey, you! Boy!"

Daniel froze.