Prologue - 1956

"Marylou come on we are going to be late!" my friends yelled up to me from the bottom of the stairs.

We were going on one of our adventures. Harry, Mick, Val, Peggie and Carl were my best friends. If anyone saw us together, they knew something was up. We went on adventures all the time. Most of the time our experiences were trying to solve the different mysteries about our town.

"Alright, I'm coming! Don't get your knickers in a twist!" I yelled back down fixing my dark brown curls.

I walked down the stairs and was instantly greeted with my friends' mischievous grins.

"Okay, I'm here. Where are we going?"

"The woods by the caves at the beach," Val said with something glinting in her bright green eyes.

"Alright, let's go!"

It took us over an hour to get to the clearing in the woods. We took a picnic with us for later but the boys were hungry from all the walking getting there, so we decided to eat early.

"Peggie, darling these cookies are simply to die for! Are these your mother's recipe?" I asked between bites.

"Oh Marylou, you're too kind! I guess you could say they are my mothers, but it's actually a recipe that's been passed down through the generations" Peggie beamed.

Everyone was still eating, but I had had enough, so I walked over to the river that connected to the sea and looked out. I was lost in thought when I heard someone yelling at me.

"Hey, Marylou! Hello? Could you please join us back in reality?" Carl shouted.

I snapped out of my thoughts. "Huh? Oh sorry, I guess I was daydreaming."

"That's fine. Did you remember to hide the clues around town?" Harry asked.

You see this adventure of ours was to be our last. In a few days, we were all going our separate ways in life. However, we wanted to leave a piece of ourselves behind.

"Yeah, though I think I may have been a bit too good with the hiding spots." I giggled.

"That doesn't matter; someone will find them eventually. Come on we need to get this done and be back home before dark." Mick said winking at me.

I sighed, taking one last look out at the river I walked back over to my friends. We wanted to leave behind a grand adventure for a future generation. One full of mystery and treasure, because we all know no adventure is complete without a little mystery and treasure.