Be Careful...

Chapter One: Be Careful

There was nothing left. Naruto stared at the torn apart village blankly. "Sensei?" a boy beside whispered softly. "What happened?"

Naruto shook his head. He had no answers. Konoha had received an SOS signal from the small farming village and Naruto and his team had been deployed immediately. That had only been an hour or so ago. He had thought they would arrive to see a battle of sorts, or anything... Instead they were greeted with a small village that looked as if a bomb had been set off in the center. The houses were torn to pieces, some with fires still burning in and around them. Bodies were tossed around the village like dolls in a child's room after a tantrum.

"Let's go," Naruto whispered to the three students beside him. The two females in is group stuck together, as was normal for them, and the boy moved individually, keeping his distance from his team, but also not venturing off too far. Naruto watched them with a hint of pride in his eyes. He had been their sensei for a year now.

He shook his head as they started through the streets of the village. Everyone Naruto checked was dead, but there was no sign of what killed them. Some of the bodies looked like that might have been attacked by an animal, but none of those wounds were fatal.

Naruto knelt in front of a certain body and looked it over. The arms were covered in scratches that were too jagged to come from a Kunai. This person had obviously tried to defend himself, but the body wasn't twisted in any way that suggested he had died fighting. Instead, he looked rather peaceful, other than the scratches on his arm. "That doesn't make any sense," Naruto whispered. This man had tried to put up a fight by the defensive wounds on his body... but he had died peacefully, or at least that's how it appeared.

Each body that Naruto stopped to examine showed the same pattern. The person seemed to have defended themselves in some way, some even died clinging to their weapons, but they all seemed to have died peacefully and calmly.

"Sensei!" the male student called. Naruto jumped. He had almost forgotten that the kids were there. He stood and ran to where the voice had come from.

"What is it, Ansei?" Naruto asked. The black and white haired child was kneeling in front of the body of a young girl.

"She's alive..." Ansei whispered, turning his pale violet eyes to his sensei.

Naruto's eyes widened and he hurried to the young girl. He knelt beside Ansei to get a closer look. She looked a little younger than the members of his team; about twelve. Her hair was the color of blood. Naruto gently placed his hand on her throat, feeling the soft pump of blood.

"Taya, Kairi, we're going!" Naruto called. The two girls appeared silently behind their sensei as Naruto lifted the child in his arms.

______________________________________

"The only survivor?" Kabuto asked. They were now in a small clinic. Naruto nodded slowly. "That doesn't make any sense. She should be dead."

"What do you mean?" Naruto asked. The children were outside with the other children in the orphanage. It was also a good time for Ansei to visit his mother.

"She has no chakra."

"Impossible. Ansei himself saw her chakra signal."

"Well, it's gone now," Kabuto concluded. He stood, straightening out his black and white uniform silently. "Other than that, I don't see many wounds on her. Just a few on the arms. Have you sent a report to Obito-sama?" Naruto shook his head.