What We Say...

Chapter Eight: What We Say...

Boruto felt sick to his stomach. Apparently the wound had already started getting infected and he was left tossing and turning in the hospital bed for a few days with a high fever. He vaguely remembered seeing Himawari and Sarada show up periodically during his visit, though neither of them had much to say. For a while, he stayed in a rather hazy and depressed dream world where he replayed the fight with his father over and over again. Sometimes the argument ended worse than it had in real life while other times it ended with them hugging and making up.

Now the dreams were gone, leaving his to stare silently up at the ceiling. "You gave us quite a scare..." Naruto grumbled from where he was sitting in the hospital room. For a moment, Boruto thought he was home and the entire ordeal had been nothing more than a nightmare. Surely he had only been injured while running away and the resulting events were only an illusion of his fever-filled mind.

"Like you care, dad," he muttered angrily.

"That's not the first time you've called me that," Naruto said quietly.

Boruto stiffened. It wasn't a dream after all. "It's nothing."

"It's not nothing," Naruto said, more firmly this time. "Any time you were semi-lucid during your fever and I was here, you spoke to me like I was your father... and you spoke of the Hokage and the Chuunin Exams... and the academy. You know a lot more than you're letting on."

Boruto sighed deeply. Would now be the perfect time to tell them?

"Actually, we do have a lot of things to discuss, Boruto," Naruto said after a few minutes of silence.

It was then that Boruto realized that he was in a room with bars on the window and he couldn't feel his own chakra. He sat up, only to find that his arm was chained to the bed. "What's going on?" he squeaked fearfully. "Where's my sister and Sarada?"

"They're safe... for now," Naruto answered.

"You tell me what you've done with them!" Boruto shouted.

Naruto stayed seated. "Calm down," he said firmly, but quietly. "You've been out for almost a week. The infection had spread quicker than we thought it would, but you'll be fine. You see... We had to draw some blood to make certain we knew your blood type, and I ordered a DNA test on you..."

Boruto's blood ran cold.

"How are you possible?" Naruto asked.

Boruto bowed his head. "Have you told anyone?" Boruto asked.

"I have not. How can I? You're existence here is physically impossible... I'm assuming you're blood related to that other girl." Boruto nodded. "And the Uchiha... Is she really an Uchiha?" Boruto nodded slowly. "Whose child is she?"

"Sakura and Sasuke..." Boruto answered quietly. He was shaking. If no one else knew, why was he being chained to his bed? Where had they taken the other two?

"So, do you want to explain what you are?" Naruto asked.

Boruto bit his lip. "What else did you find?" he asked, trying to change the subject. How was he supposed to explain this? This wasn't possible!

"Trace amounts of the fox's chakra," Naruto answered. "Implying that one of your parents were a Jinchuuriki. I should have seen it sooner! We're so similar!"

Boruto bowed his head, staring at the sheets. "Am I a prisoner?" he asked after regaining his composure.

"For now, yes," Naruto answered with regret.