You Just Might Get It...

"Done?" Boruto asked, staring at the child as he gasped for air. Mitsuki nodded.

"His chakra was toxic not only to the people he touched, but to his own body..." Akuryo grabbed his chest and vomited blood. "He's being destroyed from the inside out."

Boruto bowed his head. He knew he shouldn't feel anything for the child that had caused them so much pain. He heard the sound of a kunai being drawn. Boruto turned back to Mitsuki. "What are you doing?"

"Who knows how long it will take him to die," Mitsuki whispered. "It would be better if we ended this now." He started towards the child. Already Akuryo had collapsed on the floor, trying desperately to breathe. Boruto bit his lip and shook his head. It would be a mercy.

"W-wait!" Akuryo gasped, holding a hand up. Mitsuki stopped and cocked his head. "I... want to see the sunset," he whimpered.

Boruto blinked. The sunset? Would he survive that long? "Give me one good reason why I should offer you a dying wish," Mitsuki hissed. Akuryo narrowed his eyes at Mitsuki in defiance. He struggled to his feet and took a step towards Orochimaru's son. That seemed to satisfy Mitsuki, because he put away his kunai.

Boruto stepped forward, but Akuryo denied his help. The walk out of the cave was painfully slow, but every time he stumbled or fell, Akuryo refused Boruto's outstretched hand. When they reached the hole they had come down, Akuryo covered his eyes, unable to comprehend the light. Boruto lifted the child in his arms and jumped out of the hole. His father and Zetsu were nowhere to be found, but he supposed that was a good thing.

Neither Boruto nor Akuryo spoke as Boruto carried him through the trees. He took the child to a cliff side and laid him down. "Why are you helping me?" Akuryo snapped. Boruto shrugged even though Akuryo was still covering his eyes.

"You're harmless now," he muttered. He sat down and listened to Akuryo's labored breathing for a while as the day grew old. After a while, he turned to the boy. His breathing had nearly stopped. Boruto shook him and helped him up. "You should look now..."

Akuryo opened his eyes and gasped. He shielding them from the orange glow of the late day sun. They were overlooking the forest, with its scars and its beauty all in view. Akuryo bit his lip. "The sunset is pretty..." Akuryo whispered. Boruto didn't speak. For a moment he thought he saw a smile on the child's face and he was viewing the person the kid could have been had he not gotten mixed up in all this.

Boruto frowned and turned back to the sunset. What could have been done to prevent it? And prevent Ansei's hellish life? "Is that orange?"

Boruto jumped and turned back to Akuryo. He was pointing at the sun. Boruto's shoulders dropped. "Yeah," he whispered. He pointed to the trees. "That's green," he said, and then to his hair. "This is yellow."

Akuryo laughed softly and shook his head. "The world is beautiful, isn't it?" he asked innocently. Boruto nodded slowly. The two remained silent as the sun disappeared beyond the horizon. Boruto turned to Akuryo to ask him if he wanted to go anywhere else, but the boy was already dead.

Boruto took the body and laid it peacefully on the ledge before removing Ansei's eyes. He bowed his head and sent up a small prayer for the child's spirit before heading back down the mountain.

*********************

Akuryo opened his eyes and found himself on the edge of the world. Tears were soaking his face as he traveled through the vastness of death. Of course no one would be there. He had no family or friends. He had only killed. He laughed silently at himself. What was he expecting? He didn't even know who his father was and his mother had wanted nothing to do with him after she realized she had given birth to a blind child.