World War Me

Akuryo listened to Zetsu work on the two puzzle pieces with mild interest. He was never very involved in the finer details of their plan. It didn't interest him. Killing was all that interested him, and if Zetsu was happy, he was happy...

But, Zetsu wasn't happy.

Akuryo was confused. All seemed to be going well enough. They had everything they needed and he heard Zetsu say time and again how ready he was to kill Ansei and finish this mission, but the movements Zetsu made were angry and agitated. Occasionally he would talk to Ansei's unconscious body, calling him a stupid boy, but the insults were almost... kind...

Akuryo shook his head. Kind was not the right word. Nothing Zetsu did was kind. There weren't mean; they were angry, sure, but angry in the way a person would be if someone had betrayed them. Akuryo clenched his fists. Zetsu had admired the cursed boy since they met, but never had he given such real emotion in the way he talked to Akuryo. He was always distant to his disciple. This all seemed personal and that angered Akuryo greatly. He was the loyal one. Ansei was nothing but a rat in a maze, trying desperately for cheese that was never there. That was what he was. Akuryo was the one who watched the rat for progress. He was the one that was doing this without incentive. He was the one that lived only for this plan!

He stood.

"Where are you going, Akuryo?" Zetsu asked.

"To bed, sir," Akuryo answered respectfully.

"Not yet. I need you to take these two to their cells. I'm almost finished here."

"Are we not going to kill the girl?" Akuryo asked, curious.

"No," Zetsu answered. "I might still need her, and we need to move as soon as I pack. Those kids might come back."

"As you wish, sir," Akuryo said. He squatted back in his corner and listened to his master combine the DNA of the two reincarnates "Why do you fear the children?" Akuryo asked.

"It is not fear. I simply do not want to risk anything else going wrong here; not when we're so close."

Akuryo shook his head and closed his eyes. He must have fallen asleep, because he jumped when he was addressed to take their prisoners away. "S-sorry, sir," Akuryo muttered. He stood and wheeled the two beds out of the room. He put them in a cell, locking their hands so that they could not make any handsigns, and then he left. He wanted to kill Ansei. No matter what he did, he would never be as important to Zetsu as the Hyuuga was

************************

Boruto didn't want to go back, but Mitsuki had made sense, like always. Himawari was in danger and he couldn't deny that... He just knew that if his father got involved, then saving Ansei would not be any priority of his. It was frustrating. He looked down at his hand as Mitsuki and Sarada discussed the story they would tell. The pain killers the doctors had given him and the Sake Mitsuki had used blocked all the pain that would radiate from it, but he was sure that once all that wore off, the pain would be unbearable. He tried to make a fist with his exposed fingers, but all they did was twitch in response.

He sighed. "It'll take some physical therapy," Mitsuki said was he walked over. "Don't force it."

"Thanks," Boruto muttered softly. "Are we going back now?"

"Yeah. We'll take care of the Hokage."

"No," Boruto argued. "I will deal with my father. He will want to hear this from me."

Mitsuki blinked. "This isn't a normal mission where you went rogue but everything turned out for the better. You sister might very well be dead and you may never regain use of your hand."