Loss

Author's Note: Content warning for this chapter. It's not too graphic, but it might be a little disturbing.

Mitsuki hated leaving Sarada behind, but he knew Boruto wouldn't shut up unless someone was going after his sister. He wanted to tell Boruto that this was his fault. If they had merely stuck together, they would have been fine, but he had to go and play hero. Anger rose in him, but he kept his mouth shut. He wasn't even sure why he was so angry. That wasn't like him. He was usually calm about things like this, but he felt a sort of rage boil inside him as if he had been the one injured. If this is my anger, I can only imagine Boruto's feelings now, Mitsuki thought.

He ran faster. The closest town was the one they had left, and that was nearly a day away, less if Mitsuki kept this ace until they got there. He looked down at Boruto's arm. The decay was spreading. With a curse, he changed directions. They wouldn't make it to the town before the infection got into Boruto's blood stream.

He felt chakra not far away on a road and headed towards it. Field medicine was something he excelled at, but that didn't mean he was prepared for the procedure he had to do. It was a gamble heading towards the cluster of people on the road, but he didn't care. "Where are we going?" Boruto asked.

"Hush, I'm thinking," Mitsuki hissed. He ran towards the people and sighed. His gamble had paid off. It was a caravan, but it wasn't without its own guards. Mitsuki stopped in front of the wagon. A paid ninja stepped forward.

"Move."

"I need Sake," Mitsuki said simply.

"What?" Boruto asked, giving words to the silent question the other ninja was asking.

"I need Sake," Mitsuki repeated. "I can pay you."

"What for?" the ninja asked cautiously.

"What's the hold up!" someone shouted from inside the second wagon.

"Just some travelers," the ninja called back. "Why do you need sake?"

Mitsuki seemed to be worried for a moment, then he looked away. "My friend here is very injured. I need Sake in order to treat him," he muttered.

"Are you crazy?" Boruto snapped. Mitsuki glared at him. If Sarada were here, she'd understand what he was doing.

The ninja eyed them for a moment. "Do you need bandages as well?"

"And a blanket, if you've got one," Mitsuki added. The ninja grunted and went back into the back. He heard arguing for a moment and then the ninja reappeared with another young girl beside him. He handed the girl the requested supplies.

"The nearest town isn't far," the ninja commented. "Does it have to be done here?"

Mitsuki uncovered Boruto's arm and the two people in front of them gasped. The girl covered her mouth in shock. "He won't make it to the nearest town."

"I feel fine!" Boruto snapped.

"Would you just shut up for once?!" Mitsuki growled. Boruto blinked at the outburst. Mitsuki wasn't one to lose his cool.

"I just-"

"No, you don't!" Mitsuki snapped. "That infection will spread! If it gets into your blood stream, you will die! I know you don't care about your life, but some of us do! So just let me do my job!" Boruto paled slightly. Mitsuki had scared him. Good, Mitsuki thought. He turned to address the two ninja. "I can't let him go into sepsis. I have to remove the infected tissue."

"Is the Sake for you, or for him?" the man asked. Mitsuki didn't find this particularly funny. He turned to address his companion. "Stay with them." The girl nodded. "She is a nurse," the ninja explained, "She will help you." The girl bowed and the three moved out of the road so the caravan could move on. Mitsuki walked into the surrounded woods until they found themselves in a clearing next to a small brook. He placed Boruto down and removed his shirt, ignoring his questions as he cryptically and silently prepared the operation.