Discovery

Ansei stumbled back, glaring at his eyeless opponent. "Surprised?" the boy asked. Ansei nodded, though he wasn't sure if the other thing before him could see him, though the thought was ludicrous, as the other boy didn't truly exist. "You cannot defeat me, little brother, so why don't we strike up a deal?"

"A... deal?" Ansei asked shakily. He wondered what would happen if he died in this fight. Would he die for real? Could he die?

"Yes, a deal," the boy answered. "You and I... we have always worked with one another together. Why can we not continue this?" Ansei blinked slowly. "You cannot beat the fox into submission alone, and destroying me will only cause you to face the beast one on one. If we fight together, we will stand a greater chance of defeating it."

Ansei studied the other boy for a long moment, then closed his eyes. He made sense. "But, aren't I supposed to win this first?" he asked.

"Why waste the energy? If we are both willing, why should you try to destroy me?"

Ansei thought about it. In truth, destroying the other entity wasn't the point. He was supposed to accept the other boy as a part of himself and to quell the anger inside of them both, but he didn't know that. All he knew was that this other entity had been useful throughout his life in keeping him sane (or driving him insane) and he had never wanted to get rid of the other boy. "You're right," he said. He reached up and took the eyeless boy's hand.

Break

The pick-up was relatively uneventful. Sarada watched their employers disembark the ship while she and Mitsuki waited for them to return. Himawari was waiting back in the ship, scanning the area for traps or shinobi trying to hitch a ride and stop them. "What do you think of our employers?" Mitsuki asked over the wind. It was cold in the Land of Snow, for obvious reasons.

"They seem nice, if not a little weird!" Sarada called to him. Mitsuki shrugged. He seemed entirely unbothered by the freezing wind and Sarada envied that. Even in his light clothes, he didn't show discomfort at the wind. Sarada turned away from her teammate. She was just as worried about Boruto as Himawari was, and while they had the information they needed, they were stuck on this mission for a little while longer. She was itching to go and find Boruto before anything bad happened to him.

Mitsuki closed his eyes and rubbed his arm. "It's a bit chilly up here!" he called to her. Sarada sighed. They were really out of things to talk about it Mitsuki was trying to make small talk about the weather.

"A bit?" Sarada repeated, annoyed. "It's freezing!"

"Yes, well..." Mitsuki trailed off and looked down at his booted feet. Sarada turned to look out as their employers walked towards them, an unconscious girl in the woman's arms. Nikko waved at them to go inside and they complied without question. No one was chasing them, but there was still a sense of urgency. Just as they entered the ship, the door closed. "Good timing," Mitsuki commented to the man and the woman.

"You got that right," Nikko said with a smile. Saimin handed the girl to Sarada. The Uchiha looked down at the girl. She wasn't terribly young, though she couldn't be more than fifteen. "Let's go." The group hurried through the main deck and to the rooms. Saimin took the girl from Sarada and went into their room.

"That went well," Mitsuki muttered with a shrug.

"Yeah. Seems a little odd that they would need us," Sarada said. "But it doesn't matter. We got a lot of money for this, didn't we?"

"Enough for at least a week of food and board," Mitsuki agreed. "Are you heading off to bed?"

"Nah," Sarada said. "We might as well earn our keep. I'll come get you a little after midnight. Tell Himawari good night for me."