Chapter Nineteen

She left without arguing. That was the last time I saw her, about two months ago. She has tried calling me many times, but I only answered to tell her to leave me alone. I believe it's for the best, this type of relationships never work out. The only way I could take her seriously is that she shows me the divorce papers.

I could never say being with Marina was a waste of time. She taught me many things that I am sure will be helpful for my future relationships. The most important things were that she taught me how to love, and that if something seems too good to be real, it's probably not. However, I don't feel ready for a new relationship. I still love her, and I miss her every day. Secretly, I wish we were still together. My heart is where she is, and since she is gone, I haven't been the same. A part of me is missing. The days feel longer and pointless without her.

I have started working at a Starbucks near my house since the day I turned eighteen, to do something while I decide what to do with my life. It keeps me busy and gives me some money in return, which is very useful right now, I get to buy things for myself and also help my mother pay the bills.

On Wednesdays I only have the morning shift. After I'm finished with that, I walk to the supermarket. It is only two blocks away from Starbucks, but five blocks away from my house, so I'm not planning on buying much. I know a long walk awaits me, so I only grab light stuff I can carry with no problem, like bread, cereal, and some cheese. Walking down the halls, I see a familiar figure pushing a shopping cart. Marina.

She looks so different. Her hair is shorter, it used to stop just before her waist and now it's just before her shoulders. She has straightened it, as well. But that is not the first I noticed. She is wearing one of the shirts she got for me at Greece, and that I must have left at her - wife's - house. I miss her, and seeing that she got even more beautiful is a torture. I just watch her for a while, before she notices me. She is too busy trying to pick which bag of crisps to get. I take the chance and walk towards her.

"I'd pick the salt and vinegar if I were you, the cheese ones aren't that good." I say when I'm right behind her. She turns around with the biggest smile on her face. "And, I believe that is my shirt."

"It is!" She says, looking at it and back at me. "I could take it to your house, if you want it."

"I'll let you know... Are you here alone?" I ask whilst I watch her put the cheese chips back and the salt and vinegar ones in her cart.

"No." And perfectly coordinated with her words, Jennifer shows up. The blonde holds Marina by her waist and smiles.

"Stop getting so many junk food, you'll make us both fat!" She says and laughs when she looks at the candy filled shopping cart.

"Well, you don't have to eat it." Marina says, dryly.

"Aren't you Marina's student?" The older woman asks me, after she notices my presence.

"Yes, well, I'm not anymore, but yes."

"Well, it's nice seeing you again!" If this lady knew what went on between Marina and me, she wouldn't be saying that.

"It's nice seeing you too, but I have to pay for this and go home, I have somebody waiting." It's a lie, not even my mum is there, but the look on Marina's face is priceless.

I pay for my things and walk home. The rest of the day goes by as usual, until the night arrives. I am stalking my former girlfriend's Instagram account, to torture myself with the recent pictures of the happy couple. I notice old pictures of them, but they are not romantic, they look like pictures of two friends. I knew I had seen that woman before.

The doorbell rings, and as I am not expecting anyone, I let my mum get it. That is why I freeze the moment I hear my mother say "Oh, hello Marina." What is she doing here? "Yes, she is in her room." Is the next thing I hear. Shit, no! Marina is here and I look like a truck just ran me over. But I have no time to make myself look better, in a matter of seconds she is in my room, wearing the same shirt as this afternoon.