Chapter Ten

I look at Marina and she looks back at me, sharing the same shocked expression on her face. I figured out I have to do something fast, so I pull Caroline into the tent and close it again.

“Shh!” I say as an attempt to calm her down, we hear footsteps coming closer and closer to us. I get off Marina and pray for the best.

“What was that?” Whispers Amy, who ran out of her tent after that scream and is now standing in front of us. When I’m about to answer I hear the camp leader coming our way.

“Marina? What’s going on?” I can see Amy’s eyes widen at the mention of that name. She looks at Caroline, who nods in response.

“The girls saw a frog, don’t worry. It won’t kill them.” Says Marina with a smile. The guy laughs and walks away.There was an awkward silence between us all while we waited for him to leave. I must clarify that this is a one person tent and we are as close to each other as we could be.

“Marina Diamandis.” Whispers Amy, clearly shocked.

“You and Diamandis?” Asks Caroline. I nod before saying anything.

“Listen, you idiots. I was going to tell you at the campfire before, but Ryan and the guys came and I couldn’t.” I whisper, they looks at us like they’re still trying to process it when I continue. “You cannot mention this to anybody, we’ve kept this away from other teachers and you almost ruined everything. There was a reason I hadn’t told you and this was it. I swear to God, if any of you does that again I will throw you off a bridge.” I know I sounded harsh, but I needed to get the message through.

“You’re not throwing anyone off a bridge,” says Marina. “But, we’d appreciate it if you could keep this between us, at least for now.”

“Of course, don’t worry. I have so many questions I’d like to ask you though.” Whispers Caroline.

“Tomorrow.” I say, clearly dismissing them.

“Right, goodnight.” They leave and Marina and I go back to the way we were before.

“That was close.” She whispers, pressing her nose against mine, I hold her face and kiss her lips softly.

“I hate this, Marina.” I whisper, caressing her cheeks with my thumbs.

“What do you mean?” She frowns and pulls away.

“This. Having to hide, acting like I don't know you-” I say, looking at her deep brown eyes.

“Only two more days, and we'll be free forever, but for now... It's too dangerous.” She cuts me off.

“It's hard, you know?” I say, stroking her cheek.

“I do. You have no idea of how hard it is for me to look at you knowing that I'm not able to hug you, or kiss you, or even talk to you.” She says and looks down, and I know I'm not the only one getting hurt out of this, she is too, I see it in her eyes, hear it in her voice... And how I wish I could do something to change it.

“I couldn't stop thinking about you today, and looking at you and checking you out.” I whisper nervously. Marina blushes with a giggle, and holds me tighter.

“I don't mind smiling at each other, or looking at each other, and now that they know, we don’t have that much to hide. I just don’t want people to catch us kissing or… you know.”

“I think that’s reasonable.” I say, Marina smiles and we kiss for what seems like forever, yet nothing at the same time. Her hands wandering my body like a blind person looking for directions.

“Oh god, I'm sorry!” She says when she notices what she did to my neck.

“It’s only the sides and back though, I can cover it up with my hair.” I say and she comes closer to my face.