Chapter Eight

“You have no sense of respect whatsoever, the minute your mom leaves the house you get this woman into your bed. I asked you a question, what is she doing here?” She had never talked to me like this. I know she’s not angry because I did this behind my mom’s back; she’s acting like this because of who spent the night with me. I am still half asleep and shocked, but Marina looks wide awake.

“I'm fixing the mess you made, how dare you?” The anger in her voice is noticeable but she keeps her face pretty straight.

“Everything I said is true.” I know my sister, she's too proud to admit she's wrong. I’ve been there many times.

“You know it's not, stop lying to yourself! What did I ever do to you?” I can hear a little hint of pain in her voice and it breaks my heart, all I want to do now is hug her and tell her everything's going to be ok, but it being all true and not just soothing words.

“Oh please, all the guys were crazy about you, the first guy I ever loved left me and went after you. And you know what the worst part is? You weren't even interested in them, because you had a girlfriend then, didn't you?” At this point I don't even want to look at her anymore. She's like a complete stranger to me.

“So you decided to ruin my life.” She says with disbelief in her voice, I can tell Marina's two seconds away from standing up and slapping Lorena.

“Yes, because you took away all I ever wanted. You're not taking my sister now.” Make that two of us.

“Do you realise how selfish and pathetic you sound?” Marina asks her

But she doesn't care. She just leans against the door frame and says “What the fuck is so great about you anyway?”

There’s an awkward silence and Marina looks down, but before letting my sister win I answer for her.“She's the prettiest girl in the world. Plus, she’s sweet, funny, lovable, smart, her eyes are like windows to another world, and when she laughs, it's the most beautiful melody you'll ever hear.” She looks at me and her eyes light up again, a shy smile crosses her face and her cheeks turn soft pink.

She wraps an arm around me and faces my sister “Look, Lorena, you can hate me all you want, I don't care, but don't do this to her. You don't know how much of a wreck she was when I got here. Stop hurting her, she’s your sister, for god’s sake.” She won't say she's sorry, not even to me, but I know she's thinking about it, I can see a hint of regret on her face.

“Just stay away from my sight as much as possible, ok?”

“So she can stay?” I ask before she changes her mood again.

“Do whatever you want, I don't care” she sighs and walks away, I can see Marina is trying her best to hold back a smile, but after failing at it she pulls me into a kiss.

“Good morning, beautiful. Did you sleep well?” She says in a sweet purr that melts me to the core and I can't help but smiling back at her.

“Wonderfully.” I kiss her again and she pushes me down so I'm laying on my back. Her kisses move to my neck but I push her away and giggle. “Marina! I'm going to miss the bus if you don't let me get up.”

She gives me her best puppy face and I kiss her cheek, making her laugh as well “But it's the last week, nobody really cares if you're late, not even the teachers.”That’s when it hits me, this is the last week of school of my whole life, I had been ignoring the fact that I was almost done with school and repeating it to myself every morning at the same time. I had never seriously thought about it, and it all ends this week.

“I can see that, in fact, one of them is trying to convince me to stay in bed. What a great educational system, right?”

She blushes a little and continues “As I was saying, I could drive you.”