Chapter Two

I remember the meaning of the bell and hurry my way to the chemistry lab, with my heart still beating a hundred times per second. I double check my face in the tiny mirror I always carry with me, to make sure there are no signs of Marina left, and walk through the door. I’m late, everybody’s looking at me, and I don’t have an explanation. I simply take my seat and get to work.

The rest of the school day goes by pretty quickly; I don't even remember the other classes, since I was thinking about her the whole time. That has got to be the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me, but did it really happen? I start considering the chances of it being all in my mind, but that’s impossible. My lips taste like her, my body smells like her, and I still feel her lips on my neck, like flashbacks that come to me when I least expect it, and they haunted me all the way back home.

When I get there, my mom's talking on the phone. This isn’t unusual, it must be a work call, and to reduce the odds of her screaming at me for interrupting anything, I don't even bother saying hi to her. I go straight to my room and lay on my bed, everything is silent and I can't stop thinking about her. Oh, Marina, What are you doing to me? Even her name is heavenly, Marina Diamandis.

Her last name sounds Greek, she must be, that would explain the fact that she looks like a goddess. I look at my hand and notice the numbers she wrote down are starting to fade. I add her number on my phone, but still have my doubts about calling her. This could actually get us in big trouble, plus, what am I even going to say? “Oh hi, Marina! Remember what happened this morning? I was wondering if you’d like to come over and finish what you started, or explain to me why it happened.” Yeah, no. It’s probably better to leave things the way they are, anyway.

My mom yells my name and wakes me from my state of daydreaming. I sprint to the living room to find her with a really angry look on her face as she waits for me. “I just got a call from your biology teacher.”

My heart beats a thousand times faster. There is no way she told her what happened today, it would drag her down as well, and she’s smart enough not to do that. But that doesn’t stop me from being nervous.

“She told me you failed today's test, what's going on? You’re not like this!” Now, I'm confused, there wasn't a test today, was it? Before I can say anything she continues.“She told me you could use home tutoring and that she offers to do it herself.”

A smile makes its way to my face and I feel myself blushing. Obviously, my reaction pisses her off, what makes her yell at me, again. “Why are you smiling? Do you think you're not grounded just because she's going to help you? No more computer for a week, forget about going out with your friends this week too, and if you don't pay attention to your classes it will be more.” With that she leaves the room and I'm left speechless one more time.

Was the thing on our notebooks a test? How could I have failed it? I'm sure I had everything right. She gave me the answers herself. Unless she had given me the wrong ones, on purpose. I decide that’s not important and focus on something that is: I'm getting home tutoring from Marina. I can't stop smiling, I feel like I'm floating and this feeling seems to never end. Oh, the things I want to do to her.

My mom walks into my room and tells me that she's going to come home late at night, because of a work meeting, and that Marina is coming at five. I don't care about anything else she said.

When it's about 4:30 I feel like calling her, but as she'll be here in no time I decide not to. My heart is beating fast, I just want her to be here already, but at the same time I'm extremely nervous. What is going to happen? I wonder if she’ll act like nothing happened or the complete opposite, and finish what she started. Even if she does, what happens after that? I doubt she’ll want something more with me, after all. I must be a kid to her, and for her looks she could get anyone she wants… She’s not going to want me.