Chapter Eight (Part 1)

You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning  

It takes Marina the length of our trip to Wales to get over being upset with me. She wouldn't talk to me on the train or let me explain anything. Her hatred towards my boss is the most childish thing I've seen her do. It's not like I've ever done anything wrong to her like she did to me.

The fact that she was left with severe trust issues because of Jennifer has nothing to do with me or my current life situation. However, every time I try to explain it to her, she becomes the equivalent of a five year old covering up her ears. It's hard to be with Marina sometimes when she can't reason. I do my best to understand her and help her grow emotionally, but there is only so much I can take.

Luckily, the second we see her mum, all of her anger is gone. She's back to being the sweet woman I fell for. Regardless of not knowing if she's acting happy or if she has really let it go, I enjoy our stay in the green fields, along with my girl, her mother and sister. We spend three days with them, the perfect start for our vacations. Still, I know that the best is yet to come.

After our traumatic flight to Greece, with Marina feeling nauseous and sick overall, me trying to make her feel better, and wishing the kid doesn't pop out in the middle of the air, we arrive to her father's house along with her sister, who decided to join us in this.

"Can you not get me in an airplane again while I'm pregnant?" She complains. I have to bite my tongue to not remind her that this was her idea.

"That's going to be quite hard, considering that we go back to London in a week". I tell her while I take our suitcases to her bedroom.

"Leave me here, for real". Now she's being her usual overly dramatic self for no reason at all, I can see it in the smile on her face.

"I thought you were past the nausea". I tell her while softly caressing her hair.

"Barely went through it when I had to go through it, this is ridiculous". Maybe her sickness has nothing to do with the kid. "She's moving quite a lot". As soon as she says that, I place both of my hands on her belly so I can feel the tiny moves as well. It is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

"I hope that doesn't mean we'll have a Greek baby". Specially because we left everything in London, we are not prepared for it to happen here. Sure, nausea can be a sign of early labor, but it's still too early, isn't it?

"Five weeks early?" But then we count them again and we're not so sure if it's five, six or four. "We didn't think this through, did we?" We certainly did not.

As the day goes by, her illness fades away, confirming my theory that she was just nervous. We can go back to enjoying time with her family, like we intended. It's nice to see her this happy and relaxed, talking and laughing along with people who want nothing but the best for her and for us. This is how it always should be.

The next night, I take her out for dinner, just the two of us, and I let her do most of the talking. It's nice to just sit and admire what she's like, because to me, she is the greatest work of art to ever exist. From time to time, I make comments just to make her laugh or see her smile. There is something I've been holding back, constantly threatening to come out, yet I know I have to wait a little longer.

I find amusing that after all these years, Marina still has the ability to make my heart skip a beat, make me feel nervous and at peace at the same time. As I look at her, I know, as clearly as I know that one day I will die, that I love her more than anything I have ever seen or imagined on the universe. She is my world, my sun, my light... I cannot fathom a life without her in it no more.