Chapter Four

When we hit Nashville, it's almost midnight. Ashtrid looks tired, and I feel like the Walking Dead. I look at Ashtrid. "Are we getting a hotel?"

Ashtrid yawns then says, "Yeah, I'm not driving half asleep."

"Good. I can't handle one more minute sitting in this car. My butt's numb," I say.

Ashtrid rolls his eyes. "Suck it up, buttercup."

I scowl. "Jerk," I mumble, crossing my arms.

"You're acting like a three-year-old," he says.

I stick my tongue out. "I'm three and a half thank you very much." Ashtrid spots a cheap motel and pull in. I unfasten my seatbelt and grab my purse. Ashtrid rounds the car and pops the trunk.

"What bag do you want?" he asks.

"Uh, the duffel bag," I say. Ashtrid tosses it to me then pulls out a black backpack, tossing it over his shoulder.

"Come on, whinebag," he says, shutting the trunk and locking the car. I walk toward the office, Ashtrid on my heels. When I open the door, I see a bored looking man reading a sports magazine.

"Um, hello?" I ask.

The man looks up and sighs, "A room for two?"

"Yeah, two separate beds," says Ashtrid.

The man grabs a key off the board behind him, and hands it to Ashtrid. "Room 215," he says. "Pay in the morning."

We nod then leave the office. I make my way up the stairs behind Ashtrid, each step feeling like a gazillion pounds. "Hurry up," calls Ashtrid. I scowl and quicken my pace by a little, knowing he'll lock me out.

When we reach our room, Ashtrid unlocks the door and hurries in. I shut and lock the door behind me then toss my stuff on the closest bed. "I'm taking a shower," I say.

"Uh, after me," Ashtrid says.

I groan, "Come on, Asteroid. I'll hurry. Please?"

Ashtrid walks to the bathroom. "No," he says, shutting the door.

I scowl. "You're cruel."

"Thank you," he calls from the bathroom. I flop onto the bed, my back popping. I pull my phone from my pocket and check it. No missed calls. No messages. No notifications. This is becoming a normal thing.

After about ten minutes, I groan, "Ashtrid, you're taking forever!"

The door opens, and Ashtrid is wearing a pair of pajama pants and no shirt, which reveals his well defined chest and abs. "Like the view?" Ashtrid asks, snapping me from my daydreaming.

I scowl. "No," I say, grabbing my duffel bag. I walk toward the bathroom and push Ashtrid aside. He chuckles, and I shut the door.

I strip then hop in. I turn the water to hot and let it relax me. I start to hum along to a song that pops in my head, and wash my hair. Then, I wash my body and rinse off then get out. I dry off then get dressed and brush my teeth. I open the door, shut the light off, and grab my bag then make my my way over to my bed.

I drop the bag and hop into bed. "Well, princess, I guess I'll see you in the morning," Ashtrid says.

I look at him. "Unfortunately, I have to to be stuck with you. I can't handle so much ugly from one person."

"Oh, you know I'm irresistible," yawns Ahtrid.

"Ugh, don't flatter yourself," I say, and the only reply I get is a snore. How charming? I find my charger in my purse and plug my charger in. Then, I plug my phone to it and shut off the lamp.
*****
I shimmy into my shorts and pull my white Marvel t-shirt over my head then brush my teeth and hair. Pulling my hair into a messy bun, I leave the bathroom. Ashtrid sits on his bed, going through his phone.

I put my other clothes in my bag and pull out a pair of socks and my white Converse. "You're such a nerd," says Ashtrid.

"Just because I like Marvel?" I ask, tying my shoe.

Ashtrid nods. "That, and you don't just like Marvel. You're obsessed with it."

I shrug. "So," I say.

"Did your mom call?" Ashtrid asks, changing the subject.

"Yeah, why?"

"Mom just said that she was going to call," Ashtrid replies, standing up. "Let's get this show on the road."

"Great," I say, rolling my eyes. I pull my purse over my shoulder and pick up my duffel bag. I walk out of the room, leaving Ashtrid, and make my way way to the car. I wait for Ashtrid to return the key and pay for the room.

When he comes back, he asks, "Where do you want to eat for breakfast?"

"I don't care," I say, throwing my bag in the trunk.

"Okay, McDonald's it is," says Ashtridm