Chapter Eight

"Princess," I hear Ashtrid say. I open my eyes and look at him. He smiles. "Wake up if you want some lunch."

I groan and lazily feel for my seatbelt buckle. I push the button and take it off before grabbing my purse. Ashtrid moves away from my door, so I can get out.

I shut the door, and Ashtrid locks the car. "Your hair is everywhere, princess," he laughs.

"Stop calling me that," I say, stopping then I pull my hair into a ponytail.

He shrugs. "Na, I like it."

I scowl and push the diner doors open. "I hate you," I say. I find a booth and slide in. Ashtrid slides in across from me.

"Oh, you love me, and you know it," he says.

I pretend to gag. "Ugh, no."

Ashtrid laughs, "Someone's in a cranky mood. What's wrong?"

"Why do you care?" I snap. Ashtrid rolls his eyes, and a waiter comes over.

"What can I get you?" he asks. I look at him. He has blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes. He's well built and really hot. I don't pay attention to Ashtrid as he puts in his order. Man, is this waiter hot. I read his name tag. Evan. Are all the hot guys named Evan?

"Uh, Liv?" Ashtrid asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I look at him. "What, Asteroid?"

"The man is waiting on your order," he laughs.

I look at the waiter, and my face reddens. "A medium chocolate frosty, a hamburger, fries, and sweet and sour sauce," I say without looking at the menu.

Evan laughs, "Coming right up, princess." I blush, and the waiter walks away.

"You didn't snap at him for calling you princess, so why do I get chewed out for it," Ashtrid asks.

I look at him. "Because he is hot and not a jerk like you," I retort.

Ashtrid rolls his eyes. "Whatever," he says, and I am pretty sure there was a hint of jealousy in his voice.

A few minutes later Evan comes back to our table with our food. I look up at Evan as he places my food in front of me. He winks. "Enjoy, cutie."

I smile and blush as he walks away. Ashtrid starts choking on his drink. "What?" I ask.

"He gave you his number," he laughs.

I look down and low and behold on my napkin it had a number on it then it read, Call me sometime, princess. I smile then fold the napkin up and put it in my purse.

"You're not seriously thinking about calling him, are you?" asks Ashtrid.

I shrug. "I guess we'll wait and see, won't we?"

"You won't ever see him again," he says.

"That's why they made these things called Skype and Kik and Instagr-"

"I get it," Ashtrid says, cutting me off. "You're desperate."

My jaw drops. "Am not!"

"You are to. Taking a guy's number who you don't even know. Yeah, that sounds desperate," Ashtrid says.

I roll my eyes and pull the number from my purse. I crumple it up and throw it Ashtrid. "See? I am not desperate," I say.

He laughs, "Na, I still think you're desperate. How many boyfriends have you had?"

The question makes me freeze and I nervously laugh, "Like ever?"

Ashtrid nods and leans forward. "Yes, princess. How many boyfriends have you had ever?"

I look at my hands. Then, I realize that I look nervous. I look up at him. "Why would you like to know?"

Ashtrid grins. "You've never had a boyfriend, have you?"

I nod. "Have to."

"Then, who was it?" he asks.

"The guy I went with to prom," I say.

Ashtrid chuckles, "Olivia, you didn't go with anyone. You sat in the corner near the fruit punch the entire time."

I look at Ashtrid, confused. How did he know that? Ashtrid looks at me. "Why are you looking at me like that?" he laughs, taking a bite of his burger.

I shake my head. "Nothing," I say, dipping my fry in my frosty. Ashtrid shrugs and starts to chow down on his burger.
*****
I roll down my window. "Are we nearing Arkansas?" I ask.

"Yeah, we'll try to get there in the next few days. We are near Memphis right now," says Ashtrid.

"Okay," I say. Then, I sneak a glance at Ashtrid and flip the radio on. I'm somewhere on a beach, sipping something strong. I got a new girl she's got it going on.

"You're such a jerk."

Ashtrid smirks. "I try," he says. I scowl at him, which makes him laugh.

"I freaking hate you," I say.

"You know you love me," he replies.

I throw my hands up. "You're impossible!"

"Only for you," he says, and I let out a fustrdated sight then plug my ear buds into my phone. I put them in my ears and push play.