Chapter Six

I tap my foot to "Get Me Some of That," by Thomas Rhett, which is playing on my phone. I readjust my ear buds. Ashtrid is arguing with some girl on the phone, and even though I have my music turned up, I can hear his conversation.

"Christy, I swear to God that I didn't cheat on you! You were the one who cheated on me!" Ashtrid yells. A few moments of silence follows then he yells, "I caught you with him, so don't tell me you didn't!"

I flinch then find my music useless and turn it off. I yank the ear buds out of my ears then place them in my purse. I look at Ashtrid, who is currently strangling the steering wheel-if that's even possible.

"Don't hand me that bull crap," he growls. I hear a girl screaming on the other line. "No, Christy! Get it through that thick head of yours. We. Are. Done. D-O-N-E." I flinch at his deathly tone.

Ashtrid must remember I'm in the car because he shoots me a glance then focuses his eyes on the road. "Loose my number," are his words when he hangs up. He angrily tosses his phone in the cup holder.

I watch as he glues his eyes to the road, but I know that he is not focusing on the road. He's off in LaLa land. I don't dare to say anything because I know it may be my last words.

A few minutes later I have the urge to go pee. The worst time possible. Ashtrid hasn't glanced at me or even made a noise. I don't like this side. I squirm in my seat, trying not to think about it, but it ends up making the urge grow. "Um...Ashtrid?" I whisper.

No answer.

"Ashtrid?" I try a little louder.

He looks at me. "What?" he snaps.

I flinch at his tone. "I have to pee," I say quietly.

"You can't hold it?" Ashtrid asks harshly.

I look away. "Uh...yeah, sure," I lie. After a few minutes, Astrid sighs and gets off at the exit. I slide my purse over my shoulder and wait for Ashtrid to find a gas station.

When he finds one, I wait for him to come to a stop then unbuckle and hop out. I hurry to the bathroom and use it. Then, I wash my hands. When I come out, I find Ashtrid by the drinks. I walk up to him. "Hey," I say.

He looks at me. "Hey," he says, grabbing a chocolate milk. I grab myself one.

"I'm going to get some snacks. What do you want?" I ask.

"Chex Mix the peanut butter and chocolate kind and a small jar of Nutella. I'll pay you back," he says.

I shake my head. "It's fine," I say then go to the snack aisle. What's shocking is that I was going to get the same thing that Ashtrid wants. Weird. I grab our stuff then pay for it. I meet Ashtrid outside by the car and hand him his stuff.

Ashtrid looks at my stuff. "You got the same thing?"

I nod and hold up two plastic spoons. "Spoonfull of Nutella and Chex Mix on top?"

He grins. "How did you know?"

"I do the same thing," I admit, handing him his spoon. Then, I smirk. "Hey, we're bonding."

He rolls his eyes. "I wouldn't call it that."

I grin. "You know we are," I say, rounding the car and getting in. I fasten my seatbelt then open my jar of Nutella. I dip my spoon in it then open my bag of Chex Mix and grab a couple. I sprinkle them on then take a bite.

The heavenly taste makes me melt. Ashtrid gets in and does the same routine I did. Weird. He looks at me, and I almost choke on my spoonful of Nutella and Chex Mix. "What?" he asks.

I chew then swallow. "You have chocolate on the side of your mouth," I say. He wipes it with his hand, which makes it spread. I laugh harder.

"Get it," he grumbles. I laugh then lean over and wipe it away. Our eyes meet, and I pause for a moment then lean back.

"Got it," I say, making myself another spoonful. I flip on the radio when I stick my spoon in my mouth, and this time Ashtrid doesn't turn it off.
-----
Author's Note:
Guys, I'm getting a bunch of readers-well what I think is a lot- but not a lot of votes. Do you guys like it? Let me know! Until the next update, my lovely readers!