Chapter Seventeen

I sit up and look over at the opposite bed. Ashtrid lays there on his phone. "Morning," I say.

He looks at me. "Morning." I can't help but think back to last night. Ashtrid kissed me, but where does that leave us. "You might want to get in the shower. We have to be at least halfway through Oklahoma tonight."

"Yeah," I say, throwing the covers off. I grab my bag and head to the bathroom.

"Hey, Olivia?" he asks.

I turn. "Yeah?"

"About that kiss...how about we just forget about it, okay?"

My heart shatters at his words, but I force a smile. "Yeah, let's just forget about it," I say and hurry into the bathroom before the tears start.
*****
The car ride is silent the entire way to a gas station. We get out, and I walk in then buy a Icee and a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Why am I taking this so hard? It's just a guy. Plenty of them in college.

My heart drops. College. That's not even a two months away, and I'll be going to be off to college. Massachusetts' School of Law (I made this school up).

I hurry back to the car and get in, fastening my seatbelt. I open my ice cream. I take a sip of my Icee then place it in the cup holder. Ashtrid gets in, and I don't spare him a glance as I take a bite of my ice cream.

"You're mad at me, aren't you?" Ashtrid asks.

I raise an eyebrow. "What makes you think I'll be mad?" I ask.

"I kissed you, and I told you to forget about it. You tell me," he says.

"No, I'm not. We both know that that kiss didn't mean anything," I smoothly lie.

Ashtrid look like he was shot. "Yeah, we both know that," he says, starting the car.