Chapter Fourteen

Ashtrid and I are silent the entire way to Ihop. I shift in my seat. "So..." I say.

Ashtrid looks at me. "So..."

"Are we gonna try to get to Oklahoma today?" I ask.

Ashtrid nods. "That's the plan, Liv," he replies, pulling into the parking lot. We get out, and Ashtrid locks the car. I open the door, and Ashtrid holds it open for me.

"A table for two?" the waitress asks, eyeing Ashtrid. She twirls her hair with her finger.

"Yeah," Ashtrid says, grabbing my hand. He intertwines our fingers, and I look at him in confusion.

The waitress eyes our hands and frowns. "Follow me," she says with an attitude. She shows us to a table and hands us our menus. "Can I start you off with some drinks?" she asks.

"Yeah, I would like some coffee," Ashtrid says.

The waitress, who's name tag says Gwen, glares at me. "And you?"

"Chocolate milk," I reply. Gwen rolls her eyes and walks away. "Now, why did you make her think we are dating?" I ask. "She might spit in my drink."

He shrugs. "I didn't feel like flirting, and I pretty sure she won't spit in your drink."

I scowl. "And how do you know that?"

"I just do," Ashtrid says.

I roll my eyes. "That's not enough to make me trust the waitress enough to drink my chocolate milk."

Ashtrid laughs, "Chill, princess. She's not goin to spit in your drink. She'll get fired."

"It doesn't seem like she cares," I reply.

Ashtrid roll his eyes. "Liv, trust me," he says.

Gwen comes back with our drinks and asks, "Are you ready to order?"

I take a sip of my chocolate milk. It didn't taste funny. "Yes, I would like a sausage biscuit with eggs and cheese, gravy, and bacon," Ashtrid says.

"Okay. What do you want, ma'am?" Gwen asks.

"Two pancakes with banana, peanut butter, and whip cream," I reply. Gwen scrunches her nose up then walks away.

"See. She didn't spit in your milk," says Ashtrid.

I scowl. "It could still be a possibility."
*****
I turn on the radio and tap my fingers along to the song, "Dibs," by Kelsea Ballerini. Ashtrid looks over at me then goes to turn it off, but I slap his hand. "Do it, and I will kill you," I say.

"This is my car, princess," Ashtrid reminds me.

"Your point?" I ask.

Ashtrid roll his eyes. "I can kick you out at any moment."

"Uh huh, then do it," I say.

Ashtrid pulls the car over. "Get out."

My jaw drops, but then, I recover. "Fine," I say, unfastening my seatbelt. I get out and slam the car door. Thinking Ashtrid will tell me to get back in the car, I walk away.

That's when I see Ashtrid's car ahead of me, leaving me behind. "Ashtrid!" I yell, but he doesn't turn the car around. I look around. I'm in the middle of the highway. I groan then walk to the closest store, which is a gas station.

I call Ashtrid's phone. He answers on the second ring. "Yes, princess?"

"Please come back," I say, looking around. I spot a couple of men eyeing me. I look away.

"Are you going to leave the radio off?" he asks.

"Ashtrid, I swe-"

"Nonono. It's not nice to swear," Ashtrid says. I look back over at the three men. They are checking me out.

I sigh, "Fine."

"I'll be there soon. I have to pick up a few things," Ashtrid replies, hanging up.

I groan then yell, "God dang it, Ashtrid!" I go to walk into the gas station, and I see the three men. I scowl at them. "Take a picture! It'll last longer!"

One lets out a whistle. The others wink. "I'm already committing it to memory, baby," one says.

I groan and walk into the store. I go to the slushy machine and make myself a strawberry and orange cicle slushy then grab myself a pint of mint chocolate-chip ice cream. Hey, I'm gonna be here a while.

I take it up to the counter and pay for it. The woman gives me a plastic spoon, and I go back outside. Sitting on the curb, I take a sip of m my slushy.

"Need a ride, sweetheart?" one of the three men asks.

I look at him. "No, my...friend is on his way," I say.

He smirks. "Doesn't look that way."

"Listen, dude, I don't know who you are, but if you don't stop harrasssing me, I'll call the cops," I say, pulling out my phone.

The guy beside him lets out a whistle. "Fiesty, huh?"

"I will shove that cigarette of yours down your throat," I say, opening my ice cream. The take a step toward me, and I start to get nervous.

"Wanna try that, honey?" he asks. A car pulls into the parking lot, and I look up. Ashtrid steps out.

"What's going on here?" he asks.

One of the men answer, "None of your business." Before Ashtrid can say or do anything else, I walk over and get in. Ashtrid shoots me a look then gets in.

About five minutes later, Ashtrid says, "Liv, I am sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

I look at him as I take a bite of my ice cream. "It's fine," I say.

"No, it's not. If I didn't come, there's no telling what could've happened."

"Ash, you left me there for a little less than ten minutes. You're fine," I say.

"I don't want anything to happen to you," he says. I look at him, stunned. Ashtrid looks at me, and I look away. He cares about you. I study my toes. No, he doesn't.