Chapter Seven

I sit up; the covers sliding to my waist. I look over at the other bed, yawning. Ashtrid is sleeping peacefully, a grin on his face. I wonder what he's dreaming about. Then, I shake my head. No, I don't. I will probably be scarred for life.

I slide the covers off, and I scoot off the bed. I stretch then grab my duffel bag and head to the bathroom. I hurry and take a shower then start my daily routine.

When I come out, Ashtrid is still asleep. I look at the clock. It's a quarter till twelve. Sighing, I toss my duffel bag on my bed then I smirk. I have an idea. I turn around then jump on Ashtrid. He yanks up with a jolt, which makes me fall painfully on the floor. "Ow," I say.

"What the heck was that for, Liv?" Ashtrid says, scowling at me.

I stand up, rubbing my butt bone. "It's a quarter till twelve. If I would've known you would do that, then I would've jumped on you."

"I was having a really good dream," Ashtrid says.

I raise an eyebrow. "I could see that. No one sleeps with a grin on their face."

Ashtrid grins. "Wanna know what it was about?"

"I'm good," I say, flopping onto my bed.

Ashtrid smirks. "Oh, come on, princess. I was at the str-"

"Ashtrid!" I exclaim. "I don't want to know, alright!"

He laughs, "Okay, I was just kidding. I'm gonna go take a shower, and we'll go get some breakfast."

I nod. "Sounds good," I say. Ashtrid throws the covers off, and he's in his blue boxers and that's it. "Ew, gross!"

"What you don't like it?" he asks, striking a pose.

I cover my eyes with my hands. "Asteroid, I swear to God," I say.

"It's not nice to swear, Olivia," he says, grabbing his backpack.

I point to the bathroom, one hand still covering my eyes, and says, "Go take a shower." Ashtrd laughs, and I hear the door close. I open my eyes then let out a breath of relief.
*****
I dip a french fry into my frosty and take a bite. Ashtrid looks at me in disgust. "Ugh, how can you eat that? Especially, for breakfast."

I look at him. "How can you be such a boring person?"

"I'm not boring," he says.

I scoff, "I have a hard time believing that."

Ashtrid rolls his eyes. "I'm sure you do."

I shoot him a glare then dip my hamburger in sweet and sour sauce and take a bit. "Taste like candy canes and Christmas," I sing with a mouthful.

Ashtrid makes a disgusted face and takes a bite of his french toast. "This is a real breakfast," he says, pointing to his french toast and sausage.

I shake my head. "Who cares? I like my food choices."

"I'm surprised you're not fat," says Ashtrid.

I glare. "What's that supposed to mean?" I demand.

Ashtrid looks at me, realizing what he had said. "I...uhh...it means that....you know," he stutters.

I scowl. "You're saying that I eat a lot," I say.

Ashtrid scratches the back of his head. "No, I'm not," he tells me.

I finish off my burger and fries then grab my frosty, throwing it in his face. It drips down his face, and he wipes it from his eyes. "A little advice, Ashtrid. Never say a girl eats a lot," I say venomously. With that said, I make my way to the car.

I prop my feet on the dash then pull out my phone. I search for my ear buds then plug them into my phone when I find them. Putting them in my ears, I push play on my phone.

About ten minutes later, Ashtrid comes out of the diner. The frosty is out of his hair and face, but it is still of his shirt. He rounds the car, and I smile to myself. A few moments later Ashtrid comes over to his side and gets in. He changed his shirt.

I turn my music up louder and put on my seatbelt. I watch Ashtrid put on his. He angrily yanks it across his body and shoves it into the buckle thing. He looks at me and says something, but I can't hear him. I point to my ear buds then look out the window.

That's when he yanks one out. "Hey!" I yell, looking at him.

"I'm sorry," he says quickly.

My jaw drops. "What?"

"You heard me," he says, starting the car.

I stare at him for a moment then I put my hand on his forehead. "Are you sick?" I ask, checking for a temperature.

He swats my hand away. "Stop."

"No, seriously, Ashtrid. You may have a serious disease. Have you been tested for Ebola?" I ask.

Ashtrid rolls his eyes. "I do not have Ebola."

I feel his forehead again. "Are you sure? You feel kind of warm," I say.

He swats my hand away again. "Liv, stop it."

"What should I do with this new information? I can't get Ebola," I say, pretending to freak out. "I'm going to die. My life hasn't even started. I still have to go through col-"

"Olivia, I don't have Ebola!" Ashtrid yells. I start bursting out laughing. "It's not that funny, Liv," he says. I grab my side because I was laughing so hard.

"Yes...it...was!" I say between laughs.

"Cut it out," Ashtrid growls. My laughter dies down, and we go back to sitting in silence. Oh, this fun, I think sarcastically, but I don't say anything. It'll just be two weeks, and this little road trip will be over, I think.