Chapter Ten

"Do I look lonely?
I see the shadows on my face
People have told me I don't look the same
Maybe I lost weight
I'm playing hooky, with the best of the best."

I sing loudly and look over at Ashtrid then frown. "Oh, come on. I know you like this song! I hear blasting it in your car every time you pull into school."

"You've played it three times already," he says.

"The death of a bachelor
Oh
Letting the water fall
The death of a bachelor
Oh
Seems so fitting for
Happily ever after
How could I ask for more?
A lifetime of laughter
At the expense of the death of a bachelor."

I sing even louder. Then, when I see that Ashtrid isn't joining in, I turn the music off. "You're so boring," I say.

"And you're annoying," he says.

I stick my tongue out at him. "Thanks. I try," I retort.

Ashtrid shakes his head, and his phone starts ringing. He pulls it out of a cup holder and answer it. "Hello?"

A few moments of silence follows. "I've been busy. I'm going to California for the summer. I should be back in town sometime in July," he says.

"Yeah, I did break up with her," Ashtrid says. "Why do you want to know?" Ashtrid glances at me, and I raise an eyebrow.

Ashtrid looks away. "I don't care. She can be with whoever she wants. I like someone else anyway."

Who does he like? I look at my feet and back at him. "I'm not telling you. None of you know her. Listen, I got to go." Ashtrid hangs up the phone and places back into the cup holder.

"So, when are we stopping?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I'm going to try to get as far as I can today, so we might not stop at a hotel tonight. I mean we'll get dinner."

I nod. "Okay, but where am I gonna sleep?"

"We can fold these seats down and sleep in the back."

"I'm not sleeping with you," I say.

Ashtrid raises an eyebrow. "You don't have a choice, princess." I scowl and fold my arms. Hurry up California.
*****
A loud snore wakes me up. I look at Ashtrid. He laughs, "Did your snores wake you up?"

I yawn, "Maybe. It happens a lot. Don't judge."

"I've judged you the minute you hopped in this car. I'm not stopping now," he says. He looks at my shirt. "Nice bra."

I look down and find that my shirt is pulled down, revealing my bright red bra. My face reddens, and I pull my shirt up. "Pervert."

Ashtrid gets off at the exit. "We are stopping at Olive Garden," he says, typing it into his GPS. He needs to keep his eyes on the road.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Four or five hours," Ashtrid says. "You sleep a lot."

I shrug. "I tend to do that when I'm bored."

Ashtrid rolls his eyes. "You're always bored."

"Exactly," I say.

Ashtrid GPS tells him to turn left and so he does. "You're so lazy," he tells me.

I shake my head. "Am not. I used to be on the high school track team," I say.

"What have you been doing since school let out?" he asks. I give him my best what-do-you-think-look. Ashtrid laughs, "You've been sleeping."

I shrug. "It's my hobby."

Ashtrid rolls his eyes. "See? You're lazy," he tells me.

"Well, there's nothing better to do," I say.

The car ride to Olive Garden is silent until we pull into the parking lot. I look at my watch. It's seven-thirty, and the sun is starting to set. I unfasten my seatbelt. "Are you paying or me?" I ask.

"We'll split it," he replies, getting out.

I shrug. "Works for me," I say, opening the door.