Realize (39)

Todd drove, while Maxine sat beside him.

They just endured a couple of minutes of being gawked at when they walked past the lounge of their building.

Maxine looked at the time.

7:48 pm

She sighed and looked out window, staring into space. All of a sudden, she remembered Todd's full name, causing her to burst out laughing.

"What?" asked Todd curiously.

"Nothing, Zachary," she said seriously. Then, she laughed again.

He blinked, looking shocked for a moment. Just as quick, he composed himself. He cleared his throat, trying to hide his flushed face.

"You saw it on the invitation, didn't you?" he guessed in an annoyed voice. When Maxine grinned, he added, "I don't like being called by that name."

"Why?" she demanded incredulously. "There's nothing wrong with that name."

"I didn't say that there's something wrong with it. I just said I don't like being called by that name."

"Well - why? Zachary is a cute name."

Todd felt his face heat up. "Not for me."

"Fine," Maxine pouted. "I'll call you Zachary from now on."

"No, you won't."

"Oh yes, I will."

"No way in hell."

"Or else what?" she dared.

An evil grin stretched out from his face.

"Or else, I'll call you Maxie Pixie."

Maxine gasped.

"Where did you hear that from?" she demanded.

"Doesn't matter."

"That nickname was ages ago! And I wasn't a pixie," she protested defensively. "You can't possibly call me that."

"I can't?" Todd raised an eyebrow. "Try me."

"Fine," said Maxine through gritted teeth. "I won't call you by your middle name and you won't call me by that nickname."

"Deal."

Several minutes later, they arrived at the luxurious Thompsons Hotel.

After Todd gave his car key to the valet, they both went inside the Hotel.

Maxine tried her best to ignore the stares they were receiving. Todd noticed her uneasiness, and gently put a hand on the small of her back.

"We're almost there," he told her quietly.

She could only nod.

They entered the elevator and pressed the button that would lead them to the top floor to where the Grand Hall was.

"Aren't we late?" Maxine asked Todd, when they were almost at the top floor.

"Yes, we are," he answered calmly. "It doesn't matter, though. It isn't a big deal."

"Top floor, Grand Hall," announced the elevator man.

"Thank you," Maxine told him, stepping out of the elevator.

Todd gently reached for her hand and pulled her with him. Maxine instantly felt butterflies in her stomach. She was growing used to it whenever she was around Todd.

There was nothing on the top floor but two wide doors. The man standing by the doors asked for their invitations, Todd and Maxine gave the scrolls to him.