Realize (46)

Someone was already speaking on the microphone behind the curtains.

Maxine got nervous. She felt her heart pounded harder. She looked around.

There were different types of student groups, and five sets of sofas. Each group occupied a sofa. At the far end corner, the group of students that was wearing green uniforms was from JaBe twin’s School of Arts. Next to them was wearing brown uniforms, which was Mount Valley Private School. The next after that was wearing blue uniforms, School of Technology for Musicians. And the last before them was wearing white uniforms (like the two outside), which made them from Vlad Institute.

“I thought he was gonna eat you, Brie,” said Karl, relaxing on the last vacant sofa.

“Really? I thought he was gonna kiss Brian,” laughed Peter. “But what really alerted me was Todd. Did you see the look on his face?”

“Yes! It was practically the scariest thing I’ve ever seen besides the demon from Jeepers Creepers.” Karl shuddered in memory.

“He was cool, though.”

Karl smiled.

“Yup, he was definitely cool,” he agreed.

“You do know that you’re talking about me as if I wasn’t here?” said Todd in his usual bored voice, with a raised eyebrow.

Karl and Peter looked at Todd. They flashed him sheepish smiles.

“I’ve gotten used to it,” chuckled Karl.

“Me, too,” grinned Peter.

“Whatever,” sighed Todd.

Maxine couldn't help but smile. Their playfulness made her forget that she was supposed to be nervous.

“Incoming,” scoffed Brian suddenly. He quickly stood up and widely smiled at something.

Todd, Maxine, Peter, and Karl turned to where he was facing and they realized that Headmaster Sky was walking towards them with a huge, friendly smile stretched across his face. They immediately imitated Brian and waited for Headmaster Sky.

“Ah! The Student Body President of Sky, Brian Wright,” boomed Headmaster Sky's cheerful voice, when he was close enough to shake Brian’s hand. “How are you?”

“Ecstatic, sir,” answered Brian politely, smiling.

“Good, good,” nodded Headmaster Sky. He turned to look at Todd and grinned broadly. “Mr. Samuels, I'm glad you're here. There’s a favor I’d like to ask, if I may.”

“Of course, Headmaster.”

They waited.

“Astound us all!” exclaimed Headmaster Sky dramatically.

Maxine, Brian, and Karl grinned; Peter snorted, stopping himself from laughing at the headmaster; and Todd gave a little smile. The Headmaster was always overly enthusiastic.

“Mr. Andrews,” mentioned Headmaster Sky, making Karl snap his head up to the Headmaster, “I see that you are not depressed about the fact that Ms. Ferguson is replacing you as the singer of the band.”

The nervous feeling that Maxine thought had left her returned with its full might. She didn't like people expecting a lot from her, but more than that, she didn't like it when people doubted her. It made her feel insecure about herself.

Karl grinned. “There’s nothing to be depressed about, sir. Max can sing way better than me. And we trust her.”

“Trust. Yes, of course,” mumbled Headmaster Sky, nodding approvingly. His eyes then wandered to Peter. “Mr. Sullivan . . .”