Realize (43)

"What is falling in love like? Is it like sleeping, slowly then all at once? Is it like eating your favorite food and wanting more? Is it like drinking the same drink for a week and you eventually get tired of it? Or is it something that will let the zoo free and cause a riot in your stomach, something that will make you start rambling gibberish, but I know that it's definitely something that will make your heart beat faster the moment you fall." - @Crush39

 __________________

Will you be my girlfriend?

Maxine giggled as she remembered Todd asking her that. They were officially together and it felt . . . odd. She felt a little different somehow. Maybe it was just she wasn't quite used to being someone's girlfriend. Let alone, Todd's girlfriend.

Good heavens. Todd Samuels was her boyfriend. It hadn't sunk in yet. It was too surreal. But she guessed this was her reality now.

When they arrived at Sky that Monday, Maxine was a bit uneasy. She feared what Todd's admirers would say. However, Todd had no intention of hiding the fact that they were together. In fact, when the Lamborghini was parked, Todd opened his car’s door for her.

Maxine’s forehead creased. “You don’t have to do that,” she said. She thought that it was weird for Todd to be opening the door for her.

Actually, everything that Todd did lately was very unlike him.

“You’re just not used to it,” he simply replied.

She couldn’t help but smile out of giddiness. She was really giddy about everything. She was still a girl, after all.

So how did the school find out they were exclusively dating? Someone took a photo of them kissing in the balcony at the Royal Ball last week. It was a single picture, but it spread like wildfire.

The moment they entered the Sky Main House, Todd took Maxine’s hand and held it as they walked down the hallway.

Maxine grew used to being stared at when walking down the corridor. However, she wasn't used to the way people were gaping at them. There were different expressions from everyone's faces. Most were awestruck, a few were smiling, some were sighing sadly, and others were impassive — that ‘others’ were senior girls and Michelle Jones.

Maxine actually had to endure Michelle’s angry stare for the entire homeroom. It didn't help matters when Miss Avery kept shooting Todd and Maxine a jubilant look that made them uncomfortable. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she must have heard about the news.

As soon as the bell rang, Maxine grabbed her things and got to her feet. She was already at the doorway when Todd gently grabbed her arm.

“Why are you in a rush?” he asked, slightly annoyed.

“I always hurry to my classes,” shrugged Maxine, avoiding his eyes. Why couldn’t she be a good liar?

Todd leaned forward. He raised a hand and lifted her chin, forcing her to look him in the eyes. He raised an eyebrow.

“No, you don’t,” he said. “What is it? Tell me,” he commanded.

Before Maxine could answer, someone piped in.

“Todd, why are you with Maxine Ferguson?”

They turned around and saw Michelle Jones shooting daggers at Maxine with the use of her eyes. Maxine had been expecting this. She knew how Michelle would react the moment she found out about them.

“Do I know you?” inquired Todd in a bored tone.

Maxine bit her lip as Michelle looked abashed.