Realize (47)

“I’ve heard about you,” Maxine told Dominique, frowning slightly. “But you don’t quite seem like what I’ve imagined.”

She imagined Dominique Harris to be a scary person — the one who was always scowling. She imagined him to be grouchy. No way did she think of him as a person who was concerned on people he barely knew. She didn't imagine him to be this handsome, too.

“Let me guess,” started Dominique thoughtfully, “you thought I was a person who never seemed to smile. You thought I was bossy, arrogant, selfish, and greedy.” He paused and looked at Maxine with an amused smile. “Am I right?”

She smiled weakly. He was right.

“I’m sorry for judging you when I haven’t even met you,” she murmured.

“No worries,” he shrugged. “You're not the first one to have thought that way.”

She faintly wondered what he always did to make people think so badly of him. He didn't seem that bad at all. Where did all the rumors come from?

“Are you disappointed?”

Maxine looked at him. “Disappointed?”

“Are you disappointed that I'm not that kind of guy?”

“Aren’t you?” she asked back.

Dominique smiled lopsidedly. “Now that you’ve mentioned it, I admit that I am a bit arrogant. I’m not bossy, though. Neither am I selfish and greedy.”

“You’re not the only one I know who’s arrogant,” mumbled Maxine, thinking of Todd.

“Really?” He studied her curiously. “Who else do you know that’s arrogant?”

She bit her lip. She didn't mean to blurt it out. She couldn't exactly tell Dominique about Todd, not sure how he would react.

“You can tell me,” urged Dominique.

Maxine shook her head. “Forget that I even said it, please.”

He stared at her one more moment, before sighing in defeat.

“All right, if you say so.”

She couldn't help but smile. At least, he didn't push the topic. He respected her privacy. That was good.

But then, something suddenly got Dominique’s attention. His eyes spotted something behind Maxine. Before she could turn around and glance at what he was staring at, he spoke.

“Frankly, I would really like to defeat Todd Samuels this year.”

Maxine’s eyebrows shot up. Her eyes widened at Dominique. His face turned very serious, almost grave. His concerned expression was now gone. It was as if it was never there, like he changed into a completely different person.

When Dominique saw Maxine looking, his stone face vanished and came back to the gentle one. He smiled at her apologetically.

“Sorry,” he said. “It's just . . . He’s my most challenging rival. I’ve been craving to defeat him for a while now. I didn't intend for you to hear that.”

“No, it's okay,” she quickly said, waving her hand in front of her. “Um, I think I should go. It was nice meeting you.” She smiled and made a move to leave.

“Wait. Would you agree to have a dinner with me after the event?”

Maxine blinked. Did he just ask her out on a dinner? But he barely knew her. How could he be serious? Then again, it was only dinner.

He didn't waste any time, did he?

Maxine smiled politely. “I'm sorry, but I can't.”

Dominique’s brows furrowed. “You can’t, or you won’t?”