Realize (44)

WARNING: Short chappie.

 __________________

The weeks passed by with every student in Sky talking about Todd and Maxine's new relationship. They gossiped about it nonstop.

Todd and Maxine have agreed to wear the rings they got from the marriage booth as a sign of their relationship. At first, Todd thought it was a bit too cheesy. But Maxine managed to convince him in the end.

It took quite a while before Maxine finally wasn't bothered by all of the attention they were getting. Eventually, the student body got used to it as well.

The talk of Sky turned to the upcoming Clash. They were all much energized about it for they knew that the Sky Deviants always won the Clash Cup every year. Hence, everyone was confident that they would win.

Todd, Brian, Karl, Peter, and Maxine practiced for three hours, thrice a week. Todd wanted to have an everyday practice, but the others reasoned out on him.

By the second week of March, Todd got the news of when and where the Music Clash would be held that year.

“Vlad Institute’s hosting the Music Clash this year?” scoffed Karl, horrified.

“Yes.”

“Moldy luck!”

“They’re not going to cheat on us,” said Brian. “They play fair because they want to beat us with what they truly got.”

“How sure are you that they won’t cheat this time, Brie?” asked Peter, raising an eyebrow. “What if they’re tired of being losers and they wanted to win whatever happens?”

“Stop filling yourselves with negativity,” scolded Todd. “Dominique wants to prove that they’re the best. That means he’ll want to win fair and square.”

“That’s absolutely right,” agreed Brian confidently. “Dominique Harris wouldn't jeopardize his reputation by cheating or doing something reckless.”

Karl shook his head. “I still feel like we won't be safe there.”

“Karl's right,” said Peter. “Have you been to Vlad Institute? That place is gloomier than the cemetery! Thank God, I didn't go to there. I almost did.”

Maxine leaned forward in curiosity.

“Why, what does it look like over there?” she asked Peter.

“Think of it this way, Max,” began Peter. “Sky looks like rainbow land, while Vlad Institute looks like it belongs in the dark forest.”

Maxine blinked.

“Stop scaring her,” Todd told off.

“It's the truth,” shrugged Peter.

And so, when the Clash was just a day away, the atmosphere of Sky students changed to undeniable anticipation. It was an annual thing to get together with the other known schools. It was a chance to show off the fighting spirit.

Of course, Maxine couldn't help feeling very nervous. It was her first time to compete in something like the Clash. Todd sensed her tension, as they sat on one of the benches at the Sky Quad. It was almost dismissal and they had just finished their last practice with the gang.

“You don’t have to be nervous,” he told her.

“I'm queasy,” she admitted, burying her face in her hands. “I don't think I'm good enough for a mind-blowing performance that we're going to need tomorrow.”

Todd sighed. “You have to stop thinking that you’re not good enough. It’s painted all over your face,” he added when Maxine removed her hands from her face and looked questioningly at him.

“I can’t stop thinking about it,” she said, looking up at the sky.

“Stop worrying,” he whispered.

“How am I supposed to —”

Todd kissed her lips before she could even finish her sentence. All the worries, nervousness, and things that were troubling her flew out of her mind. She only closed her eyes and felt the sweet sensation of the moment. All that mattered now was Todd kissing her.

And also how to keep breathing.

He smiled, and smoothly pulled away.

“Can you stop worrying now?” he asked.

“Okay,” she breathed out in a daze. As though a bucket of ice cold water was poured over her head, she immediately realized where they were – at the school quadrangle. She gasped in shock. “Someone could’ve seen us!”

“So?” shrugged Todd, totally uncaring.

Maxine's jaw dropped. “Haven’t you heard of PDA?”

“PDA is not an offense here at Sky,” he replied calmly, rolling his eyes. “As long as it isn't explicit. Besides, nobody’s around. We’re the only ones here at the Sky Quad.”

She wasn't convinced. Todd sighed.

“You're so melodramatic,” he muttered.

She scoffed. “You're so nonchalant.”

He suddenly looked at her as though he was impressed.

“Wow, a somewhat deep word.” He nodded. “You're learning.”

Maxine rolled her eyes, and looked away.

“Look,” Todd said, “I kissed you for you to forget about your worries. And if doing that made you upset, then I promise that I’ll never kiss you again.”

She quickly looked at him with an perplexed look. He wouldn't kiss her again? But she didn't want that! She didn't want that at all.

He burst out laughing, obviously reading her mind.

“Kidding, dummy.”

Todd's laugh slowed to a stop. He simply looked at Maxine.

“As if I can stop myself from kissing you.”

True to his word, he kissed her again.

 __________________

Cheeeeeeeeeeeesssyyyyyyy. Too cheeeeesy.
But I couldn't delete it. It's what my 14 year old self wrote. Haha!