Realize (27)

In the morning of Christmas Eve, James, Maxine, Alex, and Todd were having the same breakfast as yesterday.

Nobody made a noise other than the clank of the metal against the plates. You could feel the tension in the air. Only Alex remained to be oblivious.

Until finally, he spoke.

“Todd, are you gonna play with me today?” asked Alex hopefully.

“Not today,” said Todd, shaking his head. “Sorry, little dude.”

The five-year-old frowned. “Are you gonna see the pretty girl again?” he asked irritably.

Todd nodded once.

“Awe,” groaned Alex, pouting. “You and Maxine are gonna divorce?”

Todd and Maxine's lips twitched.

“Alex,” snapped Maxine, “will you please stop saying that? Todd and I are not going to have a divorce because first of all, we’re not married.” She paused before continuing a bit quietly, “And we are never going to be married.”

But then, Maxine faintly remembered that she and Todd did marry each other – though, it was not quite real.

Strange. Even if it wasn’t real, she couldn't find the courage to throw the ring away. Todd was probably right. She was going to have that in her memory for the rest of her life. What he didn't know was, she chose not to forget. Even if it wasn't real, she at least want to remember that they shared something like that.

“But . . .” continued Alex, “But I – I heard Mom say that Todd and you married in the Marriage Tooth.”

“Marriage Tooth . . . ?” repeated James, turning to Todd and Maxine. “Does he mean Marriage Booth?” He burst out laughing. “Oh, man. Did you two got married in a Marriage Booth?”

Maxine felt her cheeks heat up, while Todd ignored James and turned to her.

“Did you tell Aunt Natalie about it?” he whispered.

“No,” she whispered indignantly. “Did you tell Aunt Janice?”

“I won't do something so idiotic as that,” he said quietly.

“Then, how —”

“I thought you like each other, that’s all,” sighed Alex suddenly, cutting off Maxine. “Mommy said people who get married like each other. She also said that Todd could be my brother if that happens. And — and Dad and Mom got married ‘cause they like each other. But when Dad went out with another pretty girl, they got divorced.” He scratched his curly little head. “Todd and Maxine got married at the Marriage Tooth. And then, Todd is going out with another pretty girl. It means you’ll get divorced too, right?”

A sudden rush of sadness tugged Maxine.

She didn't notice how the divorce of their parents affected him. He always looked so cheerful. And he didn't seem quite bothered that their father wasn't staying with them anymore. She thought that he was too young to understand.

Her little brother looked so innocent and young, yet he knew a lot . . . And he understood a lot.

“Alex . . .” she said quietly. She softly patted Alex's head, and waited until he looked up at her. When he did, she whispered, “The Marriage Booth is not real. Todd and I are not married. He's free to go out with the pretty girl, all right?”

“And you’re already like a brother to me, Alex,” Todd pipe in, effortlessly reaching over the table to pat the little boy's head. “Even if your sister and I are not married, you’ll still be like a brother to me. Besides, you’re too young to worry about marriages. Don’t think about it, okay?”