Chapter 13: The Hidden Pack of Athanasia

It felt as if a million tiny needles were piercing through my body as the shadow woman attempted to drain me of my energy. This must be what she did to Serena. Too bad I wasn't exactly a "living" being at the moment.

"That's enough." I shouted causing the shadows to jerk back away from me. I stood in front of my body, guarding it. This women could not use my body, she was a monster. Serena had told me of the accident, she thought she could control the creature's soul to do her doing, but it just ended up backfiring on her. "Who are you?"

"My name is Melanie, I was the Luna of the one of the largest Night-walkers packs, The Athanasia Pack." I glared at the shadow as it made its way closer to me.

"Why are you here? What do you even want?"

"You could never wield the power that has been given to you. You must give this body to me, it's for your own good."

"Melanie, the world has changed a lot since your death, there aren't any villages to destroy anymore."

Melanie laughed coldly, goosebumps ran across my body as she spoke. "Silly girl, my death was only 18 years ago, I'm not only here because of Serena, I'm here because of you"

"Why me?" I asked the Melanie who was still a shadowy figure in the corner of the cell. I desperately wanted to just go back to my physical self, and this strange spirit creature was not letting me.

"I know how hard it is to be a nightwalker. I know how it feels to want to give in to the temptation of being so powerful, I don't want you to go through that."

I glared at her "Who do you think you are? Why do you even care in the first place?"
The darkness seemed to dim, the shadows around her dissipating. The dark figure seemingly weakening at my question. Her red eyes, didn't seem as red as she replied with a long hard stare, "I care, because I'm your mother."

Peter's P.O.V (Sophie's dad)

I had been following a map that had been in a box of my wife's belongings. Having to sort through all her old clothes and pictures made my heartache. Most wolves who lose their mates go crazy and never go back to their old lives. Luckily for me, I had Sophie to take care of. She was an exact replica of her mother, it always reminded me of my love for Melanie. It's as if she left a little piece of herself for me to care for. I looked down at the photograph of us, Melanie and I standing close together, smiling as she showed off her swollen belly under her white sundress. I held back tears as I continued to drive. Melanie and I had met at the central werewolf high school, much like Sophie and Jackson had. At the time, no one knew she was a nightwalker, since they were thought to be extinct. Melanie was different than most wolves, she was faster, stronger, and clever. I was honored to have such a beautiful mate.

We lived like any normal couple would, but things got difficult for Melanie, she would lose herself in the power of her Night-walker wolf. After Sophie was born, I worried that she would get hurt by Melanie without her meaning too, So we did whatever we could to keep her from harming others by locking her up in chains. Nobody could know what happened every full moon or else they would kill her. One night we got careless though, forgetting that it was a full moon. She ended up terrorizing a rural town which resulted in her death.

My hands clenched the steering wheel as I arrived at an electric gate in the middle of nowhere. A faded sign hung from the gates that read "Athanasia". I got out of the car, hoping that they would recognize me because walking into Nightwalker territory was asking for a death wish.

I crossed the pack territory line, knowing that in a couple minutes I'd be in their radar. Taking a deep breath, I continued making my way towards the center of the land. It had been a while since I saw Melanie's family as they usually kept to themselves. It was starting to get darker and I knew any second they would become aware of my presence, if they hadn't already. The top of a house came into view, they had to be here, Sophie needed them.

Getting out of the car, a growl in the distance made me stop in my tracks. "Please don't attack, I came here seeking a night-walker by the name of Richard." I stood still waiting for an answer, it's as if tiny whispers surrounded me, the owners of those voices still invisable to my eyes.

"Who wants to know?" A male voice said through the trees. 

"Peter, mate of Melanie Athanasia." A man came out from the trees so he was in plain sight. He was still in his wolf form, the beast towered over me and I made sure to not look him in the eyes, a sign of my submission. "I didn't come here to cause any trouble, but my daughter, her night-walker blood has been awakened, she needs help."

The mans eyes narrowed, "and why should we help you?"

"Because you loved her too, and Sophie is her daughter" The man finally returned to his human form. Richard extended his hand and shook my own. "It's good to see you Peter" I nodded at Melanie's father.

"It's good to see you too."

Jackson's P.O.V

"What do you mean by you cant?!" Serena looked up at me calmly. "Sophie's soul has been ripped away from her body. Unfortunately for her, Melanie Athanasia's soul is roaming freely around your territory, which means that she will want to have Sophie's body as her own."

Isabella looked at Serena in alarm. "Melanie is back? How is that possible? My family killed her long ago." Isabella slung her bow on her shoulder and left the tent.

"Where the hell do you think your going?" I said as I followed her out.

"If what serena says is true, then we have a bigger problem on our hands. Melanie makes Serena look like an Angel."

"Wait, whose Melanie anyway?" Isabella looked like she was debating whether to tell me or not. "Melanie was a nightwalker, much like Sophie. My father had to kill her because she lost control of herself during one of the full moons." I stared at her in shock. Lost control? Could that happen to Sophie?

Isabella and I made our way back to the jail cell. Isabella stopped me in my tracks, she pointed at the entrance as the sound of two voices speaking to each other echoed from within. One of them sounded a lot like Sophie. My wolf became alert and I quickened my pace. The sight of a woman like figure made of black shadows was certainly something that caught my attention, but not before noticing the ghostly outline of Sophie. Isabella tapped my shoulder, I turned to look at her as she put her a finger to her lips. Quietly she set up her crossbow and aimed a arrow that had a glowing blue tip at the shadows. I stared at Sophie, she looked like she was in shock. Isabella released the arrow and with a whoosh it stabbed straight into the woman's body.

She howled in pain as the shadows began to dissipate. It's as if Sophie was snapped back into reality. "Wait stop, what's happening." Sophie stood still as the last of the shadows disappeared. She looked back at her body, as she stood a blue crystal dagger slowly came out of her ghostly chest. Sophie took the dagger and before any of us could do anything she punctured her lifeless body with it.

_______________________

Let me know what you think! Comment below

:)