4. Amortentia

They both met in the common room after about 15 minutes. They went out and greeted the late headmaster before making way towards the Great Hall for breakfast. They parted ways at the entrance and walked towards their respective tables. Hermine was greeted by Lavender, Seamus, Dean and Neville. Ron, Harry and Ginny soon joined them. They greeted each other and sat down for breakfast. Breakfast was a good time to spend with friends.

After the breakfast, they made their way towards their respective classes. Hermione proceeded towards the dungeons for her Double Potions with the Slytherins. Harry, Ginny and Ron also had potions. They soon joined her. All four of them settled down. The students kept pouring in the class. Professor Slughorn soon entered smiling smugly. Hey greeted the class.

"Good morning class. I hope you all had a happy summer. But now you all are back to school. From today onwards, we will be working in partnership. These will be the partners for the year. We will be making Amortentia today. I don't think I need to revise what is Amortentia. We have already done it in our sixth year. Since it's the first lesson of the year, I wanted it to be lovely just like Amortentia. It's a love potion."

With the flick of his wand, names were written on the black board along with the ingredients and instructions for brewing the potion. Harry was paired with Ginny, Ron with Blaise Zabini, Seamus with Pansy Parkinson, Neville with Theodore Nott, Dean with Daphne Greengrass and Hermione with Draco Malfoy. Only two pairs were happy, Harry-Ginny and Draco-Hermione. Others were not happy but didn't say anything. All other Slytherins and Gryffindors were paired according to the list. Everyone changed their places to sit with their partners on the tables assigned to them. Hermione and Draco had decided that they both will collect all the necessary ingredients together in co-ordination.

"Everyone please gather your ingredients and start brewing the potion. Two hours to go. Go ahead everyone." said Professor Slughorn. Everyone took off to get the required materials. One of them will be collecting the ingredients while the other wold set up the apparatus. Hermine took the task of collecting the necessary things from the store room while Draco would read out the details to her. After setting up everything, they worked in proper co-ordination. Initially all the chopping, sorting, mincing and measuring of ingredients was done together. Then Draco was mixing the liquid ingredients in proper measures and Hermione would stir it precisely. Then the solid ingredients were added to the potion as and when the potion would change its colour.

After brewing the potion efficiently and correctly, they raised their hands.
Professor Slughorn looked very pleased that they were well in advance than the entire class. He tested it himself for any errors but none were found.

"Miss Granger and Mister Malfoy, you have done an excellent job. Now please lean down on it and inhale the smell. Tell me what you smell. You can start miss Granger."

Hermione leant over the cauldron and inhaled deeply. She could smell so many aromas. Some she could distinguish easily but others were a mixture.

"Professor, I can distinguish cretain smells but other I can't. I can easily smell old books, new parchment, rain and cinnamon. I am guessing the other smells to be a musky cologne which is quite faint but I can distinguish. And...."

'GREEN APPLES' she thought to herself. She didn't realise that she had said 'MUSKY COLOGNE' loud enough for the class to hear. She bit her lip when realisation dawned on her. These aromas were Draco's. His cologne and green apples. He smelt like them. Merlin, was she hallucinating?