02 | Mystic Falls?

Chapter Two

I stood behind the last row of seats, watching a bunch of deputies graduate.

Am I proud of Matt? Yes. Am I extremely bored and my presence at this ceremony completely necessary? Yes.

"Please join me in recognizing our graduating class of new deputies as I read their names and they receive their badges." the Sheriff proudly spoke into the microphone on the podium, receiving an applause from the audience.

The deputies lined up, and marched up the stage.

The loud-speaker began calling their names, granting them with badges as I zoned out, inspecting our surroundings.

Something felt off.

"Deputy Cornell Willis." the Sheriff announced, handing the man his badge.

I folded my arms, leaning against a post, inspecting each audience member. "Deputy Taylor Hall." the Sheriff continued.

Chanting suddenly filled my ears, causing my head to whip back and forth until my eyes landed on the heretics.

"Deputy Matthew Donovan." the Sheriff shook Matt's hand, as our friends applauded with the other attendees.

Matt made his way back over to his seat, proudly smiling as he showed Caroline his badge before he took a seat.

As the chanting continued, I made my way down the rows of chairs until I finally reached Caroline. "We have a problem.." I whispered, gaining her attention.

"Oh my god..Cassidy." Caroline's face lit up as she pulled me in for a hug, which resulted in my face growing confused.

"Caroline, we can catch up later, but there's a serious problem-" I tried,

"Cassidy, you haven't returned any of my calls..or texts for that matter." Caroline pouted. "Actually, you haven't even spoken to anybody since Kai and Elena-" she rambled, before I shot her a look. "Right. Sorry.."

"Caroline. Evil heretics, six o'clock." I hissed, causing her to cautiously look around in search for six o'clock.

I let out a sigh, grabbing her head, turning it to the three girls.

"What? What are they doing here.." Caroline pondered, before their chanting filled my ears once more.

"Nothing good, I can promise you that." I accused, as Stefan showed up behind us, kneeling down to our ear level.

"Hey, I think we have a problem." he announced, earning a nod from me before the sprinklers went off, causing people let out various 'aw's' in disappointment.

Some people left their seats while others giggled. "Sorry about the malfunction folks." the Sheriff apologized, as deputies shuffled off the stage, and people shielded themselves from the water.

I turned around, storming over to the chuckling heretics. "What the hell do you three think you're doing?" I asserted, folding my arms.

"We're just having a little fun.." Nora smirked, sharing a look with Mary Louise.

"Incendia." Valerie chanted, creating a fire out of nothing.

Screams suddenly erupted, and everyone scattered.

There were people running left and right, nobody wanting today to be their final day.

I stared in awe as the stage caught fire, along with a new deputy, before every heretic began feasting on the crowd, draining people of their blood, leaving them for dead.