07 | Tribrid

Chapter Seven

"What the hell does he mean we got him out of the stone?" Bonnie exclaimed, as the two of us paced around Stefan's old room.

Enzo took Oscar downstairs, most likely to find more blood, giving us time to sort this out.

"That's not even possible, you can't fit in a stone." Bonnie added.

"After everything we've been through, you find it impossible for a man to be trapped in a stone?" I questioned, before my face fell and I shook my head. "Okay, it does sound insane.."

There was a lingering silence between Bonnie and I, before Bonnie's phone buzzed.

I rolled my eyes, taking note of the caller ID as she answered the phone.

"How's operation destroy Julian?" I loudly spoke, earning a glare from Bonnie.

"Better question, how's everything with professor Frankenstein and his rebooted bride?" Damon retorted.

"Good, I think. She was still asleep when I left." Bonnie addressed, as my eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh, good. Glad to hear it. So, quick favor. I'm gonna need you to tell Ric that we made a tiny mistake and that that's not his wife." Damon chirped.

"What?" Bonnie asserted.

"Yeah. It turns out that the stone doesn't actually have any magic juice to bring back any old corpse. It's more like a supernatural holding cell for a bunch of lost vampire souls, one of which you accidentally shoved into Jo's body." Damon explained.

"Oh my god..that means Oscar's-" Bonnie started, while my eyes widened.

"Not Oscar. Just some random vampire in a heretic candy shell." Damon concluded, as I gained Bonnie's attention, motioning to the house.

"Damon, I came to your house to talk to him about the stone." Bonnie admitted,

"Bad idea. Cut the conversation short. Call Ric from the car on the way home." Damon affirmed.

"Oh, no. Don't put this on me." Bonnie cautioned,

"Well, I'm sorry, and I'm trying to do this thing where I do right by Elena, and I just..I- I just don't think that she'd want me to crush his spirit like that. Let him down gently?" Damon pleaded, causing my eyes to narrow.

"Is this you doing right by Elena or you not wanting to break your best friend's heart?" Bonnie questioned, receiving no response from Damon. "Fine, but you owe me."

"Thanks, Bonbon." Damon added before he ended the call.

Bonnie shoved her phone back into her pocket, her eyes lingering on me.

"What?" I announced, as she shook her head.

"Nothing." she shrugged, grabbing her bag. She placed the Phoenix stone in my hand, wrapping my fingers around it. "Don't let it out of your sight."

"Wait- why are you giving it to me?" I hissed. "Out of everyone you know, I'm most likely to lose it."

Before she could respond, Enzo re-entered the room.

"Found Oscar a few blood bags stashed in the study. Probably expired, but he does not seem picky." he chirped.

"I have to head back to Whitmore. I'll see you later, Cassidy." Bonnie spoke up, brushing past Enzo as she went downstairs to leave.

Enzo stood completely still, before he took a step closer to me, our faces inches apart. "I meant to ask you about this pretty stone. Where'd you find it?" he bluntly asserted.