Chapter 2: Shadows

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 2: S H A D O W S

A/N: Sorry for mistakes, I only edited once instead of twice :/. Haha PLEASE comment and help get the word out!!! Oh and vote!!! :) Ohhhh and fan if you havent lol.

I grabbed my chest in fear and sighed in relief when the sight of a blond hair boy came into view. He smiled at me, taunting almost and I glared slightly. How dare he frighten me?

“Oh my god! You scared me!” I yelled. My, now, aching chest moved up and down rapidly.

He chuckled and glanced at the note in my hand. “I see you found Ruth's note. She'll be home soon. I'm almost finished with everything here so, bye for now Akila.” He began to walk away and out of the kitchen. And stared at his retreating back in shock. He was leaving after that!? I stomped my foot and came up with the first questions that came to mind.

“How do you know my name? Who are you?”

He turned to me, flakes of his blond hair falling into his baby blue eyes. “Richard and it's hard not to know you. Everyone knows you. You are practically famous here. Ruth Laurens adopted you.” I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion. What does he mean, 'Ruth Laurens adopted me'? Before I could ask, the door slammed shut, signaling his absence. I blew my hair out of my face. Great.

I began to walk around in search of my room. The house was quite big and … strangely beautiful. In a way I couldn't explain, almost ancient. The note I had read earlier said:

'Hello Dear,

It's Ruth here. Your guardian for hopefully a long time. I am sorry I am not there to show you around, but I hope you like the place. It has been passed down through generations of the Laurens family.

When you find your room, I hope you like it. Johnathan said you are a very bright girl. I can't wait to get to know you for myself. Don't mind Richy, he's a strange boy, but very flirtatious so beware.

Maggie will be home around the time I get there. And many people know who you are in this town so don't be frightened to venture. People will be willing to help you.

Dinner's in the fridge. Mash potatoes, brown stew chicken and ziti. Enjoy it darling.

See you later,

Ruth.'

She sounded kind and yes, I was shocked after reading it. She seemed too nice. No one has cooked me a meal or even written me a letter. I had been used and abused by every family. What was the catch about this one?

The house may have been big but it had a strange homey sense to it, no matter the amount of intricate decorations that surrounded the place.

Photos of Maggie and Ruth littered the home. I saw photos of two more men and one other woman that I did not know about. Then there were flowers, paintings, and hand made pillows.

After finding my frighteningly gorgeous room which consisted of pale green walls; a French vanilla colored canopy bed, with the curtains attached; a white furry carpet, soft enough to sleep on, that filled every corner of the room. I fell in love with it and there was also a wooden desk that had a laptop already on top, dark green outer screen cover.

Then there was an empty frame over my desk with a sticky not on it saying:

'Our family portrait or your own photo. Up to you dear ;)'

And then across the left side of the room there was a door all the way to the upper left, turns out it was a bathroom! My own bathroom! I flipped when I saw that. And then I witnessed something only seen in the movies and over priced homes; a walk in closet. This woman was trying to spoil me. I was grateful, but I knew at an instant that it would not get to my head that easily.