girl meets mr. squirels goes to washington

"CURRENT EVENTS

"CURRENT EVENTS. Somebody tell me what's going on in the world?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"Stuff happened in some country, some team won a game, and it's cold somewhere with a chance of I don't care." Maya said, "Am I all caught up?"

"Yeah. Your education's complete." Mr. Matthews said, "Anybody who's gonna turn out well got something to say? Lucas."

"All the news is about the elections."

"So are all of the commercials." Thomas said.

"Why should we care about the elections when we don't get to vote?" Riley asked.

"Who else feels that way?" Mr. Matthews asked.

The whole class raised their hands.

"Well, that's a shame, guys, because this worlds gonna belong to you soon." Mr. Matthews said.

"The one you messed up?" Sophia asked.

"Yeah, thanks anyway." Lucas said.

"Oh, so you got problems with this planet you're inheriting?"

"When I read the news, it makes me feel like this isn't even a world I'd want to rule." Farkle said.

Sophia turned to face him, "Wow, Farkle."

"I've never heard you say anything like that before." Riley said.

"I'm a visionary, Riley. I look ahead. You. Me. Mars. Let's do this thing." Farkle said.

"Wait a minute. Wait a minute.
You guys are supposed to be optimistic. Future leaders. You don't get cynical until high school." Mr. Matthews said.

"Why don't you elect people who care enough to make things better?" Lucas asked.

"I like to think I do every time I vote. But the truth is I'm not responsible for the quality of people running for office."

"How are these people even chosen?" Sophia asked.

"Well, the parties choose the best candidates they can come up with." Mr. Matthews said.

Eric came rushing in and out of breath.