Chapter 9

"Y-Yeah, sure. I'll help you." I finally said after awhile.

I really didn't want to help him with Sydney. That's the last thing I wanna do. But I have to do this for Evan.

"Really!?" Evan asked, perking up, "Thanks so much, Del! This means a lot, you have no idea!"

As his smile grew wider, mine seemed to shrink farther. The happiness on his face was magical and would surely bring a smile to my face any other time. But this smile wasn't for me, it was for Sydney.

Evan didn't seem to notice my faltering smile so he continued to ramble about date ideas he had planned for his girlfriend.

"Okay, so I'm gonna need some practice." He said, staring into space as if he was thinking, "I know!" He continued, sticking a finger in the air,"You can be Sydney!"

"W-What?" I said, taken aback.

"Y'know! I'll practice my date with you! Like, you pretend to be Sydney!"

"Umm, Evan I-"

"Don't worry about it! Please, Del!?" He said, cutting me off.

I looked at his happy face and my expression softened. He just looked so happy.

"Okay." I said.

"Awesome! Okay c'mere." He said, grabbing my hand and dragging me to the dinner table.

I couldn't help but noticed the strange feeling that shot up my arm and into my gut as he touched me. I have a feeling this isn't going to go well for me.

I sat down in the chair and Evan sat down in the one across from me, adjusting himself to be comfortable. I shifted in my seat, starting to regret agreeing to help him. Evan looked up at me with his dark brown eyes.

I suddenly got very nervous by the expression on his face. He wasn't as excited as he was before. He turned serious. That wouldn't help for his date. If it makes me uncomfortable then I'm sure it would make Sydney feel the same.

I nudged his foot under the table, "lighten up." I said showing him a big smile. Don't look so serious."

"But I'm serious about this!" He said, laying his hands flat on the table.

"I know you are, Evan but your seriousness makes me uncomfortable. Do you want Sydney to be uncomfortable?"

"No but-"

"Just relax" I told him calmly, laying a hand on his.

I noticed the large difference in our tones of skin. My thin hands were pale but long, and his were very tan and large.

"Del?" I heard him say, making me pull my hand back.

"Sorry. I got lost in thought."

"Can I ask what you were thinking about?" He asked curiously.

I shrugged my small shoulders and held up my hand with the palm facing Evan, "My hands," I paused, turing it like it was on display, "are very small and pale compared to yours"

Evan chuckled and raised his hand to match mine. He placed his against it like we were in the middle of a high five.

Evan chuckled and smiled, "They're warm though." He said softly, as he studied our hands intently.

It felt really nice. His hands were warm as well and I felt like intertwining our fingers. It seemed like we had our hands up forever, and my arm started to burn like when a student had raised their hand for a long time in class.

"Evan, what are you thinking about?" I said quietly.

Evan shrugged as he intertwined our fingers and laid our joined hands on the table, "I'm wondering why I'm enjoying holding your hand."

"I'm not." I said.

Evan tilted his head in confusion and loosened his grip on my hand.

"I'm not wondering why I also like holding you hand", I clarified,"because I already know why."

"Oh." Evan said, "Why-"

Evan was cut of by the door swinging open and the devil herself walking through it. I jerked my hand back so fast that my chair tipped and I fell backwards in my seat. A loud crash rang through the large house. Evan gasped in surprise but then slightly chuckled.

"Evan! What're you doing?" Sydney asked.

"Nothing. Just talking to, Jon" he giggled again, looking at me laying on the floor.

Sydney eyed me in my overturned chair and quickly walked up the stairs, "I came to change. Me and Kelly are going out."

"Okay, make sure you don't have anything planned for tomorrow cause I'm taking you somewhere!" Evan called up after her.

I rolled my eyes and picked myself up. Evan looked at me with an expression I couldn't read and looked down at the hand I was previously holding. He got up and went up the stairs, shaking his head like he was trying not to think about it.

'Maybe that's what I should do,' I thought to myself while looking at the stair case, 'not think about it.'

***

A/N: here take this update. sorry it's been forever and sorry it's short!

xoxo, britney ;) <3