【Chapter Three】

Counting the seconds before school ends seemed to make everything pass by a lot slower. It's not like I was nervous, hanging out with Butters isn't anything too out of the ordinary anyway. Hell, we've been to Hawaii together! So what's so weird about being around him after school?

Maybe the fact that I'm supposed to shatter his heart in two months tops.

Yeah, that could definitely make things a bit awkward for my part. Butters himself was unaware that I'd be toying with his emotions - assuming he was capable of liking another male in the first place - for one hundred dollars. It probably seemed like such a small amount of money for everyone else, yet to me that money meant that I could better feed my sister and I. A hundred bucks could give us two nights of a full dinner, but if I'm careful with how much I spend and what I spend it on then I could make it last a week. If I kept my mind on that, all of this seemed a little less guilt-worthy.

Ding.. Dong. Ding.. Dong.

"Class dismissed," said the teacher, turning back to her desk. I quickly dumped everything into my bag and slung it over my shoulder, walking out with only one thing etched into my brain. Karen.

Very few people passed by me while walking the hallway, none of which spared a single glance my way. This wasn't anything that shocked me, considering the fact that the town of South Park itself didn't have anything close to a high population and even less people attended the public school of South Park High. So ever since I could remember, every student knew every student and there wasn't a single name someone was unfamiliar with. Even so, I couldn't find Butters anywhere.

Finally, I made it out of that accursed building and into the wintry streets. The wind smacked against any revealing skin and left me feeling like a block of ice. It didn't help that my boots, though once new and stiff, now wore thin and tiny holes had begun to plow through the material. This made it all too easy for snow to seep into my socks. The feeling was torturous and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop it. I just hoped that I wouldn't have to lose my toes to frostbite.

Despite that, I pull through the freezing temperatures with no verbal complaints as I'm used to the feeling by now and eventually my eyes landed upon the familiar figure of a tiny, seemingly vulnerable blonde haired boy.

I found myself smiling at the sight of him trudging along in the snow, only to trip over something that must have gone unnoticed by his constantly joy filled eyes.

"Oh, hamburgers!" I heard Butters snap quietly, only barely able to keep himself from falling face first into the white sheets of fluffy ice. "I sure hope no one saw that..." he mumbled, looking around just to make sure. Then he spotted me and his recently pale cheeks flushed in what I could only presume to be embarrassment.

I smirked at this and walked over to him right as our eyes connected, "Sup, Butters?"

"Oh, uh, h-hiya Kenny!" he greeted, rubbing his knuckles together and staring down at his feet while shifting his weight from one side to the other. I watched him for a moment, witnessing his entire body language changing after only a few moments. What was once tense and on guard soon relaxed and he looked somewhat comfortable in his own skin again.

I grinned, though he couldn't see it, and slung an arm around his shoulders playfully, "We had plans," I reminded him. He squirmed and warmed up under my touch and from all the girls I'd known who were infatuated with me I took this as a good sign.

"B-but I'm grounded," he told me once again, "I don't want to cause my p-parents no more trouble..."

"What'd you even do?" I asked with a small sigh, taking my arm away and shoving both hands into my pockets. Knowing them, I bet anything it had been over something plain stupid.

We stopped walking and he bit his lip softly before responding to my question, "I left my room when I wasn't supposed to. I-I knew it was bad an all b-but I still did it! I'm such a terrible person.."

I frowned, knowing that my suspicions were correct. "Well, how long are you grounded for?" Maybe I was coming to conclusions too fast, maybe he was only grounded for a couple days or not even that.

He brightened up at this, which caused me to believe that I had been right yet again. "They let me off easy! M-my punishment's over Saturday," he nodded his head in self approval. I groaned in frustration and he gave me an odd look.

"Butters, that's fucking ridiculous," I stated.

"I don't think so," Butters told me warily, starting to walk again. I followed, stepping in sync right beside him. "They've told me countless times not to go out of my room after nine and I didn't listen.. S-so they're just trying to t-t-talk some sense into me..." I rolled my eyes, noting that he was refusing to look in my direction.

"Then let's hang out Saturday," I told him.

"Oh, I'd h-have to ask my parents," Butters said, "b-but if they say yes, I'd love to!"

A large beige colored car rolled up beside us, slowing down next to Butters. The windows were tinted and I found myself becoming extremely protective, pushing Butters to my other side gently. He gave me a weird look, only for it to change to fear when he saw the car. The window rolled down to reveal an angry looking woman who I only vaguely recognized.

"Butters!" said his mother, coming to a complete stop next to the curb, "Hurry up and get in, will you? You gotta help me with dinner."

"Y-y-yes, M-Mom!" the boy assured. He gave me a weak looking smile, tightening his grip on his backpack, "I'll s-see you tomorrow, Kenny.."

I nodded and watched as Butters slipped into the car and sped off. After they were completely out of sight, I let out a small sigh and started toward my own home - assuming you could even call it that.